How do you keep your toddler busy?

I have a 2 1/2 and a 7 mos. old so needless to say they both want my attention. I was curious as to what other moms who work or stay at home do to keep their toddlers entertained/busy. What activities do you have them do by themselves when you can't give them your sole attention? Just trying to get others' ideas.

Orchid7

Asked by Orchid7 at 5:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put him in his high chair or booster with a coloring book and the large non toxic washable crayons. Gracious. My daughter would color all day. Or, those Mega Bloks or the Lego Duplo blocks (the latter will connect with the small legos as he gets older) are always awesome. They are big enough to not be a choking risk and for the kids to be able to handle them, but they are still cool. Something else to consider, put half of his toys into boxes and store them away somewhere. Then when he is getting bored with the ones he has available to him, switch out his toys with the ones you have stored. It is like getting new toys all over again.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:00 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Oh, and refrigerator magnets. The letter ones, or the alphabet ones. You can wash dishes or cook dinner or whatever, and the kiddo will play with the magnets. He is in sight, but not demanding. Those work well for me when I want to clean house.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Thanks for the magnet idea and the renewing the toys...that's great. I wish my dd would color all day or something similar "all day" but she easily gets bored and is demanding! She's very energetic...who says it's only boys ;-)
    Orchid7

Answer by Orchid7 at 6:30 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I don't SAH but I do spend weekends with my DD trying to keep her entertained. She helps me around the house by passing me shirts, one at a time (or 4 at a time lol), so I can hang them. She helps me scrub the floor (I use homemade natural cleaning products, so no worries about chemicals), the bath tub, carries my $$ cup to the laundry room, etc.

While I'm making dinner, I sing songs to her. She will have me sing all day! Or I let her play with playdough or pizza dough while I'm cooking. My DD also likes to color.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I made a cupboard in the kitchen just for my dd(18mo). I put some random pot lids and old wooden spoons in. Often if I'm trying to cook etc. and she's bored I'll say," what's in Lilly's cupboard?" and she'll dig in there and play and play. It's special for her since all the other drawers and cupboards in the house are off limits. Sometimes if that' not enough and I don't mind a mess I'll fill a mixing bowl with a small amount of water and a squirt of dish soap and she'll play 'bubbles' with a big spoon on the floor( dish soap is all natural since sometimes she'll lick it,lol).
    Ravensong

Answer by Ravensong at 9:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• my son loves dora! and diego. im thankful he discovered cartoons!!! my mornings are less hectic now. my bf takes him outside to throw the football and run around. he has pots and spoons in the kitchen and gets painting time. also the magnets. and a huge array of toys, but what kid doesnt?
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:37 AM on Sep. 26, 2009