HELP!! I WANT TO HELP, BUT DONT KNOW WHERE TO START!!

When I found out I was pregnant and told my baby's daddy he offered to give me enough money to have an abortion and have some money left to pay a few months of rent, when I heard that it broke my heart and I told him to keep his money and I would keep my baby, and send him to h... about a three months later my boss found out I was pregnant and they let me go. I had two other kids to provide for and tried seting up yard sales since I had no internet, as time went by things got worse, so much that my refrigerator was empty and only had a few cans of food left, I cried myself to sleep every night since that was the only time I could without my kids seeing me. three day after my baby was born I got and infection in my breast wich made it impossible to feed him, and only had $6. the thing is now that I doing better, thank to GOD!! I would like to help someone, but dont know where to look. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A WEBSITE OR SOMETHING?

Winter81

Asked by Winter81 at 5:30 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in About CafeMom

• Contact your local food bank and offer to volunteer your time for a food drive, or help out at a local homeless or battered womens shelter. There are plenty of organizations in most cities that need volunteers, you just have to know where to look! I'd start by contacting your Chamber of Commerce and ask what kinds of volunteer programs your city has.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 5:34 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• So you're looking to help others?

Try your nearest church. Most of them have charitable organizations that are looking for volunteers.

Or the local food pantry. Or the Salvation Army.

You know, your former employer can (and should) get sued, stewed and tattooed fro what was done to you...that's ILLEGAL. Pregnancy discrimination is against the law.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I'm so glad you are doing well now. I found it is best to help people locally. It depends on what kind of people you want to help. There are groups that help pregnant women. You can get involved with animal rescue groups. You can find a lot of info on Craigslist.

I watch Craigslist for women needing baby items. I buy nice things at yard sales and keep on hand. I foster for 2 animal rescue groups. I answer a breastfeeding hotline. I knit baby hats that are sent to other countries. I like to do lots of little things. I have more time and talent than money.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2009