Is there any foster parents out there?

I need help dicipinins my kids. How is the best way because you can't spank them.

ugee67

Asked by ugee67 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I was a former foster youth and am all too familiar with this, my foster parents would take thigns from us life TV time, sweet snacks or have us in our room with the door open because kids can exagerrate. Also toys but not things of important value or pictures because kids can exagerrate about that also. Depending on what you do with them, like we had weekly outings and if we were bad the bad kids had to stay in for that week with one of the forster parents and the other good kids would go, also putting them on the wall is not harsh punishment. Seek help from the social worker or your agency! Remember that they have it rough because there not with theire parents but also that they can't use that as an excuse for the rest of their lives! Some foster kids always use that! They can also write essays about their behavior as well.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 9:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I have sole custody of my Grandson, and with him, we started out with a star chart, rewarding him for GOOD behaviour...and demerits for unruley or otherwise unacceptable behaviour. Seems to work with him! THAT and time outs.Hope this helps!
    TJsMom09

Answer by TJsMom09 at 6:57 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• When we were fostering we used a lot of time outs, 1 minute per year on steps (going to bedrooms) or on chair in corner, writing sentences; I will not do .... or I will do ....., extra chores, repair or replace, grounding to room, grounding from event, no tv or gamesystem. We never put down child just the behavior of the child, we also was very careful not to put down parents or have the punishment effect visiting times ( unless it was a short time out and the visit was delayed 5-10 minutes). Hope this helps
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 6:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Thanks for all the advice. I have a 6 yr old that I do try to put in time out that usually does not work with her because she has ADHD and ODD and ususally ends up kicking a screaming and goes on for hours sometimes. I have tried also to taking things away but I believe that she has never really had anything so she really doesn't care if she gets things or not we are working on that We have also had the chart for good behavoir and she can be very good to get what she wants then once she has acomplished that she doesn't care anymore she ends up being bad again. She is a good girl when she wants to be but I think that she has been bad for so long she doesn't know how to be good most of the time.
    ugee67

Answer by ugee67 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2009