need some guidance ....maybe ill get more answers here!!

I am Native american. I have been diligent in teaching my 4th grader (and my son in kindergarten too) accurate information about our heritage and Native American history in general. I found out yesterday that my daughters school has 4th grade native american day in NOvember. At first I was excited until i saw the curriculum they are studying for that Its full of the usual stereotypes, and they want them to wear the costumes they have at school which are combinations of several different tribal designs. I know that we have worked hard in my home to teach my children the actual history of "our" people (our meaning all native americans) and i am afraid this is going to completely destroy what we have worked hard at. I dont know if i should allow my child to participate knowing that its perpetuating untruths and historical lies and inaccuracies, or if i should keep her home and not allow her to participate possibly affect

elananme

Asked by elananme at 5:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in

• (conte) her grade!! Any advice, would be greatly appreciated.

Btw she is very proud of her heritage and I think she may be offended by some of the information presented, and she may not even want to do it, but i know its going to come up soon in our discussions here at home and I am not sure what to say or do when it does
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 5:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I'm sure the teacher would allow you to come to the class and talk.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Talk too the school and teacher, see if you could volunteer some time and maybe be a guest speaker teach what you know and explain your concerns too the teacher.
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 5:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Maybe you should offer to help out at the school that day. Bring your concerns to the school and tell them that you would rather your child not be made a stereotype but you are willing to help with presentation that would please both parties.
    Remind your daughter before she goes that while she has alot of knowledge surrounding the subject, other students do not. Let her know that now is a perfect time to be proud of her heritage and share it with others. Ask her if she would like to put together something to share with her class......
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 5:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Our school had international day, and parents were invited to share their heritage, clothing, foods, history, games, music all of it. We had Native American Family that gave a beautiful and highly educational presentation. Why not consider volunteering to do exactly that. Volunteer to give an accurate presentation, and if you have other people who would be willing to contribute, arrange for a presentation. The best way for our kids to learn about all of our different cultures, is from people from the culture.

I would love to hear what you actually do, and how it goes.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I would see if you could help with it and talk about your background with them. If not then there is nothing wrong with taking your child out for it and doing something yourself that day. That or you can see if you can attend and then after the day is over talk to your child about what was said and done and how it goes with or against what you know.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 5:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I think you should go to the school and offer to be part of it and teach the truth. I live in a very historical area and they make "our history" part of the history class as well. My own kids have done particular projects about our family, the ancesters of this area. I think you should also casually talk to your kids about how the world has their own "pretend" ideas of how things are, so they don't get blown away hearing things.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:10 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Go to the school and talk to them about it! They may not be aware at all that they're perpetuating misconceptions.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I agree. Contact the school and express your concerns. Your children should be proud of their heritage and they shouldn't have to listen as misconceptions are spouted to their classmates. If they are willing, come up with some idea of factual things they could teach about. Take it to the school before you make your decision.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• It would be a good way for her to teach. What a better way to show her pride then to do a presentation. What if you ask to come in and talk. The school must know that your a resource why not try to use it.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 26, 2009