How to deal with a pushy babysitter????

ok..im in that army, i had to travel for training purposess for 2 weeks. My son's godmother was generious enough to watch him for me while i was gone. But also when watching him she completely screwed with all of his little routines. For example, before i left he was eating 6oz. bottles every 3-5 hours, only waking up once at night time, independent for his age, and rarely fussed. Now i come back only after 2 weeks and he will scream until you pick him up, waking up a minium of 3 times through the night, and only wanting to eat 3-4oz bottles!!! So now im stuck in the midset of the one I thought and belived with all my heart to take care of him completely set me back and did more damage than good. Also being a single mother in the military i need to have at least one persosn i can depend on that will look for his best interests, and now i have none!!! It makes me feel like a bad mom......what to do???

tylerz_mom

Asked by tylerz_mom at 6:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Babies change. Poor little guy having mommy gone. If that's the worst that happened you are so lucky. Thank the wonderful woman.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Either talk to her or find someone else who agrees with your PARENTING style.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• This does sound like a real pain. I'm sorry you're stuck but having some help has to be better than none. Is there someone else that can step in?

One other thing, babies routines often shift just when you think you've got it down. How old is your child? I wish you luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• He missed you then his godmother had him and started to get used to her ways of taking care of him and now you are back and of course you'll have to train him back to your schedule give it some time after she did do you the favor so try to be more grateful it is not like she took your baby and kept it she did what she needed to do to make your baby happy. Both of youwill adjust.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• As easily as "she changed him", you can do the same. Kids are very resiliant, and he isn't ruined for life. Find a babysitter who will do what you require, and expect to pay for it.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• It sounds like his schedule might have changed. Don't be so quick to blame the sitter, especially if it's a close friend. An infants schedule changes often, teething and other developmental things can interfere with what you consider to be your son's normal routine. Ask her what her daily routine is with him and discuss changes you would like made.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I wouldn't be quick to judge her either. it's hard on baby to be away from you and his schedule could have changed due to the stress of knowing you were gone. And now, he has to content with the stress of learning to trust that you will still be there. I had teh same probelm with my 1 year old when I left her with my mom to go on vacation for a week. She was really clingy and even cried when i left her at day care for the first time ever! So try to stick it out and see if she had an problems that might have aslo added to the stress
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I have the same issue when my husband and I switch off our 8 mo daughter! My husband is a stay at home day during the week and works most weekends. He will always talk about putting her back on schedule on Monday! Just remember it is very hard on a child when a main care giver in this cases mommy is gone. It sounds like this Godparent did what my kids Godparents do spoil the crap out of them!Don't get me wrong you should always trust your instinct, but just remember messing with your schedule is not a big deal. If she cries when you put he down for bed let her cry a little, it wont hurt her.

redemom

Answer by redemom at 11:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Where's the father? Single parents should not be allowed in the military.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Sep. 26, 2009