The term "baby daddy"

I was listening to a talk radio show once, where women/men call in and this woman gives them love advice, health advice, etc. Kind of like LoveLine.
Anywho, this woman had called in calling the father of her little girl, "baby daddy." The talk show host said "Oh, don't call him that. It just demotes everyone. It makes what you had and your child seem cheap."
This got me thinking.

What do you think? Agree or disagree?
This is purely curiosity, I'm not looking to start anything. I can't stop people from bashing each other, but this isn't my intention, so don't do it! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I use it as a joke. I think when women use that term as a way to describe the father of their children it makes them sound ignorant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I agree. It's improper English and we have enough uneducated Americans. This just cements that fact.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:10 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• This is actually one of the terms that I can't stand calling the father of your children. Yes, sometimes, I do use it as a joke - "DH is my baby's daddy" stuff like that. But to honestly call him that, no.
    It does make the situation "cheaper"
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I think it is trashy to say that. Only people I know who use it are immature kids or trashy adults. I would never insult my husband, child or self by calling him that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• The term came from Jamaican-Creole, it's not ignorant Jeanclaudia! Get your facts right!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I went to a parenting class once were they actually advocated using the term "Baby Daddy". Apparently they felt it more accurately described the relationship. Mind you, I'm not saying I agreed with them.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 6:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I think its a disgusting uneducated term. It bothers the HELL out of me. Its trashy and low sounding. Whoever says this, sorry, but i look at like they are TRASH, because that is how they are presenting themselves.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• It might not have started out to be ignorant but IMO has become just that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Actually, anon3.14.
    It is ignorance.
    The term DID come from Jamaica, NOT Creole. It originated from a hip hop Jamaican song in the 1960's (which is where Baby Mama came from as well) and migrated to the US via song lyrics. Once they were popularized in hip hop lyrics in the late 90's, the terms lost most of their negative connotations.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I said Jamaican Creole? You can't read Ignoramous!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Sep. 25, 2009