What do you think of when . . .

What do you think of when you see a dog with a choke chain on?
We have a boxer/pit mix who ate his collar the other day. The only extra collar we had was a choke chain, it is brand new and I have no idea where it came from, but it fits him. My Husband and I agree that we need to buy a new collar because we feel that a dog with a choke chain on gives the impression that the animal has behavioral issues. We wouldn't be so bothered with it if he would stay in the fence but he will not stay in the fence. We have put fresh dirt down, we have staked the fence down and now we are going to get an underground fence but until we can afford it we just try to keep an eye out and make sure he stays in our fence (our dogs are indoor/outdoor).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Pets

• I think used properly a correction collar is a fine training tool even for a well behaved dog, so no I think nothing of it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Lots of pet trainers and owners use choke chains. I see no problem with it. Harnesses are better in my opinion though
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I don't think anything of it.
    My dog is really strong, and like yours has broken a couple collars,(mm, chew toy) so we got a chain instead.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 6:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Oh good Lord the 'what do you think' questions have made there way to the pet section to!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Anon Excuse the hell outta me for wanting outside opinions!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with using a choke chain. Both my dogs are big pullers, and they're HUGE. With a regular collar, they just drag me all over the place. Not only that, if they pull back, sometimes their head slide right out of the collars! They have thick necks, so I really couldn't tighten the collars any more. With the choke chains, I can correct them when they start pulling, and there's no chance of them slipping out of them. Win-win in my book!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I used one...my dog ripped collars and we had to borrow one too. At the time she popped the one we were at a friends house. He only had a choke chain he used for travel.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 8:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I have a boxer/pit too, and we used a choke chain when we first got him. Actually, we used a choke chain and occasionally a pronged collar if we were doing intensive training. But now that he's trained we just use a harness. He doesn't chew up his stuff; he's had some of his toys for 3 years and they're all still fully together, lol!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 10:25 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• We tried to use a choke chain on our dog but he was too stupid for it lol. Instead of stopping when it pulled like he was supposed to, he just spazed out and started pulling harder and hurt himself. We made it about 3 feet out the door and he was laying on the side walk yelping like crazy. Never used it again. We used a harness for him. It helped alot and he was never able to take it off. It was also really good for walking him because he quit pulling and dragging us everywhere with it.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 1:03 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I feel sorry for the dog when i see them because so many people do not now how to use them properly. If he chews through his leashes and collers you may want to invest in Lupine Collers. They will replace them even if chewed.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:42 AM on Sep. 26, 2009