Would $25.00 a day be too much for babysitting kids in my home?

If you decided to take care of 2 to 3 kids at home and you charged $25.00 day M-F

And say a child does not come for one or so days, do you minus that or do you charge no matter what?

Or what if they only need you to watch the child 2 to 3 hours for the day, Do you charge the full day.

I ask this bc I do not want to be taken advantage of.

Thank you ladies :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• Sounds fair, and you get paid regardless of attendance. Make sure you state who will be providing food.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Sounds fair, I'd do it, good luck and have fun!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Whatever you decide you need to do it ahead of time and make it clear.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:22 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• That seems about right. I was making $18 for in home child care, and $11 for less than 5 hours daily about 6 years ago. So I think that sounds right. And if you want to charge if they are there or not that is up to you. I think if you had planned for them to only be part time, like 3 days a week in advance, you could only charge three days, but if the child is sick, perhaps you should still charge. That is completely up to you. And set up distinct pick up and drop off times, when you will be paid, and who will provide food before you agree to take any kids.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I think its too low to be honest - where I lived in West Texas it's $18/per kid/per day minimum - so that would be $36 per day. Truthfully I would charge $40 per day - that is still BELOW minimum wage!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I am sure you mean 25 per kid. Thats very fair.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:29 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Add up your annual expenses (license, insurance, etc.) and divide by 52. Now you have your weekely expense. If you incorporate and pay yourself a salary, your taxes will be around 1/3 of your income (though you will have additional expenses); If you file quarterly individual taxes (which you will need to do as a non-employee), your taxes will be around 1/2.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:54 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• sorry but I would charge more than 25 a day. That is way below minimum wage. All day cares charge for the spot not the child so you should do the same. Now also some daycares have part time hours. Mon-wed-fri Half days. tues-thurs half days. It all up to you but I don't think 25 dollars a day is enough.
    sara13178

Answer by sara13178 at 8:41 AM on Sep. 26, 2009