How do I teach my kids to clean the mess that they create around and in the house

My daughter and my son he is a teenager he gets his friends home and they mess up the computer room he is artistic and good in crafts but he messes up his room the living room, my daughter messes her wardrobe and she and her friends just jump up and down the sofas the bedroom how do I discipline them they are just messy, they are good in manners never answer back are nice to all but the mess that they create it pains me and I hate to punish

sunnysky69

Asked by sunnysky69 at 7:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Tell them they need to clean up after themselves. They are big enough to understand. You should have started doing this with them when they were 2.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My kids learned when i removed everything from there rooms but there beds and dressers. Yup that means no toys no tvs nothing but a few books that were kept downstairs. I grounded them for a week to there rooms as well. We also have a rule in our house if i have to pick it up more then twice in one day it gets thrown away, I've never had to do that though but they know i will.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:35 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• If they won't take care of it, get rid of it. They don't need sofas in their rooms. All they need is a bed and a place to put clothes. When they have shown that they can behave responsibly, they can earn it back.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 26, 2009