Do any of you Mother's supplement with breastmilk and formula?

Does it ever make you frustrated?

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 7:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did both and no it didn't frustrate me.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Oh, it does Me because I wanted to be able to pump breast-milk and I couldn't keep up with My baby while she ate every so many hours, plus it's not as fat as it needs to be for her to get her nutrients.
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 7:27 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Don't do it. Increase your supply so you don't need to use formula.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• "Oh, it does Me because I wanted to be able to pump breast-milk and I couldn't keep up with My baby while she ate every so many hours, plus it's not as fat as it needs to be for her to get her nutrients."

need more info from you...I have a feeling you may be doing better than you thought and don't need the supplements at all.

First thing you need to know...if you've done any reading on breastfeeding, you've had more training than your doc on the subject!

Answer by gdiamante at 7:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Anon- Demand doesn't always equal supply. If she can't keep up with her baby and has/wants to use formula to supplement, there is nothing wrong with it.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• "Demand doesn't always equal supply. If she can't keep up with her baby and has/wants to use formula to supplement, there is nothing wrong with it."

No...but she sounds like she's not real happy with it, so perhaps there's a way around.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• True it's very expensive! But also I really like nursing, but after feedings My baby is always hungry, but that's when I was pumping, now I am only nursing when she's hungry and she seems very satisfied! When I was pumping she was always more hungry. I was trying to store and save My milk but it didn't work good for My daughter.
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 7:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• "but after feedings My baby is always hungry, "

Four weeks old, from another post? Normal! She's a bottomless pit right now.

Are you changing 6-8 dipes daily and seeing a gain of about 4-6 ounces per week?

Answer by gdiamante at 8:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• It seems that you don't need the formula supplement, if you are saying that your baby is satisfied after nursing. Some women just don't respond well to a pump. If you are really worried about having some stashed away, I'd suggest pumping after a nursing session, or pump from one breast while baby nurses from the other. But, it sounds like you're doing fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:31 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• You don't supplement WITH breastmilk, if you're breastfeeding most of the time you're supplementing with formula. Sorry, that just bugged me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Sep. 25, 2009