Formula users are you tired of buying it???

I sure am it's so spendy and I have no choice, My baby needs it to gain more weight My milk just isn't doing it! :(

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 7:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Virtually all mothers can make enough milk. What have you tried to increase your milk? Whats going on with your baby?

If you give formula you want to do so after breastfeeding. It's best if you can avoid bottles. You want to give not too much or the baby won't nurse well the next time. You can find more info at www.kellymom.com

You can get help from La Leche League or a Lactation Consultant. Mothering Magazine has good discussion boards for breastfeeding questions.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I'll second that...what's happening with your baby? A breastfed baby gains a mere 4-6 ounces weekly in the first six months, LESS after the six month mark. You may not need the formula at all, but impossible to know without knowing the averages.

Going to look at your profile to see if you have one of those charts.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Tell us WHY you think your milk isn't enough. Likely, if there IS a problem, it can be solved.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I've seen lots of questions by you. I don't want to judge but if you spent more time breastfeeding or pumping then maybe you would have more milk and wouldn't have to buy formula. I could be wrong. You could have the baby in a sling nursing away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• You don't want to judge, but there you go, judging. The poor mom is looking for help. Don't discourage her by making her feel bad for coming online and finding out info.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Krysta, I see your point...but the anon has one as well...lots of questions from this mom but no answers to the questions back that are offering help. I'd really like to help her out but I need to know more.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:59 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Haha well I am a young Mom and love to learn, I know almost everything and have all the answers! But My baby was born at 7 lbs 2 ounces, she lost weight while still in the hospital which is 6 lbs 14 oz, the 3rd week she weighed 6 lbs 12 oz she lost, I was only breastfeeding! And all the time! The Doctor Made!!! Me supplement with Formula not My choice and I feel bad every time, and I am jealous of those who can breastfeed and baby is fine with it! I run out of Breast milk after 30-40 mins, My baby loves nursing but she loves eating! There is a difference sadly to say. I don't produce enough No matter how much I feed her from My breasts, when I give her formula she gulps it down like ice cream! Sooo :( It's sad but I will just have to spend money on it, I noticed lots of mothers using it! But many who are only breastfeeding! I have to use bottles when I go back to work. :(
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 10:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• And yes My breastmilk increased But Again Not enough for MY baby, she is always hungary and screaming to eat after a hour-2 hrs for Breastfeeding that is just wayy to long to be not getting enough, she drinks, I hear her, I see it in her mouth, but after 40 mins there's nothing in them. Every Mother is different! For a matter of fact through My entire pregnancy I have Been a Pro! 8 days in early labor, 3 days in more active labor, labor at a scale 13 for 32 hrs, and birthing for 3 hrs and 19 mins of pushing, started walking the 2nd day, lost 18 lbs the first day right after birth, lost all baby weight 2 weeks ago, by the way My baby is almost 5 weeks, started having sex 4 days ago with My Hubby, so LOl amazing! I also walk everyday, and I leaked more then any other Mom said My Doctor! See how different Mothers are! They come in all shapes, colors, and sizes, and all different attitudes, styles, and backgrounds! seeMy point!
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 10:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2009