Eating vegetarian for $50 a week for me and my toddler?

Is it possible? Any tips, recipes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Find a store that has great sales. My son works for an upscale grocery that has mostly organic. They have fantastic sales. On Wed they have the sales for both weeks - the previous & the new. Only buy sale items. You might be able to find something similar where you live. I've lived in several cities and have always shopped somewhere like this.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Do you have room for a garden?
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 8:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• No, I rent a room, so it's not my yard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Three of us eat vegetarian on $60-80 a week.

There are my best tips for saving money at the grocery store: http://www.ehow.com/how_5223945_save-even-money-grocery-store.html

Dried beans and lentils are great budget-stretchers. Send me a message offlist if you would like some recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I'm really lucky. There is a farmers market about a mile from my house that is open three days a week. They have very good prices, much better than the grocery and the food is amazing. One of the gentlemen lives in my neighborhood and I can go to his garden any time. We walk the rows and I tell him what to cut for me. He puts it all in a bag and I wind up spending about 7 dollars for a very heavy bag filled with broccoli, satsumas, peppers, eggplant, you name it.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 8:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• i dont know that its possible however if you only have $50 a week to spend on groceries perhaps you should contact your local human services department about some assistance? also be careful about having your toddler be a vegitarian make sure he gets the protein he needs and has teh opportunity to try meats etc just because you want to be a vegitarian doesnt mean he has to be the same as if you werent a vegitarian you wouldnt stop your child from chosing to become one. Good luck!
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 8:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 8:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Our food budget is only $60 a week or so and I KNOW the most expensive thing I buy is meat. We usually only have it 4 or so nights a week. It should be doable on a budget of $50 as long as you arent interested in buying all organic and such.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 9:30 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Peanut butter sandwiches, bean burritos with rice, veggie soups with grilled cheese, have breakfast for dinner, pancakes and eggs are cheap and kids love them. All very affordable, reasonably nutritious.

Just plan your menu, you may find you can even do it cheaper!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:55 AM on Sep. 26, 2009