Bath Time Advice

My baby Born August 16th absolutely hates taking a bath! It doesn't matter if it is a sponge bath or tub bath. He screams and wiggles the whole time. I think the problem is that he hates being naked. He does the same thing when you change him also! Diaper or clothes. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to calm down for these things? Or possibly like them? Does it come with age?

-First time mommy

Jessycwr

Asked by Jessycwr at 7:38 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• this is normal for his age...my daughter screamed bloody murder...its cause they feel insecure...they like being bundled up and swaddled...so baths are a shock to them...just do it as quickly as you can and bundle htem up....after a while the baby will get used to it
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:41 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Is the room too cold?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• when you bathe him, leave his shirt on and diaper on as well, get the arms,legs, face etc..than take off his shirt, do his tummy and back, dry him as you go put a shirt back on, than take off the diaper clean dry and put on a new diaper than do the hair. go quickly, bath's at this time are more about getting them used to it than they are getting clean so it doesn't need to take a long time. just wipe down w/warm water, you can use soap if he'll not get fussy but if he's gonna get fussy just use warm water.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• what about taking a few baby washclothes and draping them over him when he's sitting in the tub? So he doesn't feel so naked? my dd loves baths, but I think she especially loves when I put the nice warm washclothes on her! She also just learned to splash! :) she's 4 months...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My little guy used to scream too, it might sound stupid but I would sing to him and he'd calm right down. A nurse in the hospital showed me the warm washcloth over his chest and belly trick to help keep him warm. Wash his head last!!! same thing with changing him, my Mom and I would "double team him" while she was visiting but I found that going really slow and talking about what I was doing worked better. When they protest something that needs doing we automatically go faster, but I read that with newborns to go slow and steady, making up a little changing song worked wonders (stinky bum stinky bum its time to change you little chum!!!)
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 9:00 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• What I did when they were this youg. I'd fill up a bowl of warm water with his baby soap. Sit down on the living room floor or someplace where drafts are less likely to be. Place a clean towel between your legs. Cover him while you wash his face and hair first, uncover his top when ready to clean his top. Cover him up on the top when you are ready to do his bottom. My kids didn't like the water like this either and this worked wonders with mine. Make sure you have his clothes and diapers with you just to prevent him getting angry..
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 9:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My DS hated warm baths... He LOVES his baths now, because I accidentally made the water too hot one time, and he loved it. Try varying the water temp and see if that makes your LO any happier.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 9:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I have a 2 month old and he doesn't care for his bath either...although he has gotten better with it since his first bath for sure. It is probably a variety of things. Just unfamiliar territory and like someone else said, he probably feels insecure or nervous. Try to make it as soothing as possible. Maybe dim the lights and have lullabys playing in the background. Johnson's Bedtime Bath gift set comes with a whole bunch of great stuff, including a cd, to make bathing as calming as possible. I use it with my son every time now. And although he still cries, its more of an annoying whine than a wailing.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I would say to make sure the room isn't too hot or too cold. Also, try taking a bath with him if you are comfortable with that. My daughter wasn't too fond of baths either until I let her shower with me and sat in the tub with her. She liked feeling close to me and now she loves them. (She's crawling now and she crawls into the bathroom and tries to get into the tub!) Also maybe get some waterproof toys/books that helps a lot.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 10:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My DD was the same way she used to scream when it was bath time, then one day I made sure the water was find had the heater in the bathroom on and had it in my mind that she was going to scream and she did not. Since then I do the same thing and she loves her bathes unless she is overtired then she will fuss.. It should pass, till then just try to keep a good mind set and do the bath as fast as you can :).. Hang in there it gets better...

First time mommy to DD Harmony..... 4months and 3 weeks old...
    amueller210

Answer by amueller210 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 1, 2009