is rice milk safe for my one year old to drink we are having trouble with whole milk

noasmommy618

Asked by noasmommy618 at 8:22 AM on Sep. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• check with your Pedi first but its probably ok....lots of people also swear by goats milk....
    afeather

Answer by afeather at 8:46 AM on Sep. 1, 2008

• they make formula for toddlers too if that helps
    muffinpie03

Answer by muffinpie03 at 9:05 AM on Sep. 1, 2008

• Rice milk is okay. I would only try a little at a time before using it or anything new all of the time. My two children couldn't do whole milk. I have had a parent bring rice milk for her 1 year old after formula. I did soy milk. My daughter would get diareha when ever she drank while milk and my son had a bad allergic reaction when we gave him whole milk and he also got a bad rash when we gave him eggs. He was over 1 year old but his body just wasn't ready. My daughter was able to have milk and other dairy products when she was three and my son is now 27 months and his body handles dairy just fine. Their bodies just had to adjust to the change at it's own pace. Good luck.
    Peacefully

Answer by Peacefully at 9:13 AM on Sep. 1, 2008

• My daughter has been on rice milk since she was just over one. We tried whole milk first only to find out she was allergic to dairy, she was on Alimentum before that. She loves the rice milk and it is very healthy.
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 9:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2008

• Talk to your doctor, but milk isn't a neccessity, especially if she is eating really healthily and eats other dairy like cheese and yogurt.
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 11:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2008

• Make sure it is fortified with everything it should say fortified on it, yes its actually better than cows milk for your body! My son is sensitive to cows milk and soy and he drinks it!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2008

• I work in nutrition and i would definitely talk to your pediatrician or set up an appointment with a dietitian, most hospitals and dr offices have outpatient dietitians appointments only take about 30 minutes or so, you need to be careful with foods at this age. certain foods introduced too early will set off allergies. They can cause your child to have more food allergies. On the other hand if you are having problems with allergies removing most dairy products can help your child....Definitely see your doctor
    JoAnna512

Answer by JoAnna512 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2008