Rude, Rude, Rude!

Today my FIL came by, unannonuced and insisted on staying for dinner. I was annoyed because I haven't had my husband to myself all week because he's been buried with work. I was nice to him and gracious as always. We got a pizza and we ate in the living room because I have various projects out on the dinning room table and there is only seating for two in my kitchen (our son is still in his highchair so DH and I usually sit in there and DS sits in his highchair).

So I cleared a spot on the dinning room table for the pizza box and said "I hope you don't mind sitting in the living room" and he said "No, it's fine. Your house will never be clean."

WHAT THE HELL! I am so offended that he would say that to me! I know my house is messy, but it's not dirty. It's just cluttered right now. Anyway, who the hell is he to say that to me!

Don't you think that was rude? What would you have said?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I say that was quite rude. He doesn't have to come over if he doesn't like your home. It's good that you held your tongue though. Peace in the family is always better than a blow out :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:33 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• well if it looks like that every times he comes over..then no lol..i would just laugh and say well your more then welcome to clean it :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• "You're right. Glad we've gotten past that little hurdle. So, what do you think of the Chargers' chances this weekend?" (Substitute your FIL's favorite team for the Chargers.)

Yeah, it was rude. I'd've ignored it though because at least in my case it's the truth and I never get offended by truth. Only by lies. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 8:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• gdiamante, I know it's the truth - but he doesn't have to say it. I already feel crappy about the way my house looks, I don't need him to bring it up!

I didn't say anything really. I didn't get rude back because I'm not like that (usually). I think I just said something like "No, it won't" and went into the other room to get napkins.

The guy is just generally difficult to deal with anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• i woulda been like yeah i know i am supprised you even wanted to stay in eat here its so messy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I would have said well most people call before just showing up. If people want to be rude to me I will be rude right back especially under my own roof. FIL or not.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

Agreed.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Yes it's rude. Even if someone thinks it's true...it's rude. You didn't out right ask him if he thought your house was a mess (then if he tells you that it is...you can't get mad :D).

People say that about my house...but ya know what...until THEY want to come and clean it, I say they can keep their mouths shut. No one lives my life...I am doing what I can...and spending time with my son is more important that picking up every stray thing around my house for people who drop in WITHOUT NOTICE.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 8:49 PM on Sep. 25, 2009