I know I haven't spoke to you in 4 years, but I have no money but wanna go to the game, so Im staying @ ur house this w/e.

That is exactly what just happened to my SIL. Her hubby's ex-aunt (she is divorced from his uncle) just called out of the blue and said that. Of course here there were a few more words. My SIL has never even met this woman. She is also bringing her son who is 21 and his girlfriend!!! They want to go see her dd's (college age) soccer game. The game is a 10 hour drive from the aunt's house and 2 hours from SIL house. The aunt said they don't have any money, so they are gonna stay w/ them. Then the aunt said "On Saturday we can ride to the game together and get a hotel room for the night"!?! Remember she has no money so she wants him to pay for it!!! What is wrong with her? My SIL is supposed to house and feed three extra adults for the whole weekend with less than a days notice. Her hubby couldn't say no, IDK Y. I just can't believe some ppl!!!

4monkees

Asked by 4monkees at 8:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• How rude!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 8:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I would just say, "I'm sorry you didn't give me more notice, we have made other plans and it won't be possible to accomodate you." Then I'd hang up! The utter rudeness, effrrontery and sense of entitlement of their presumption doesn't warrant even that much politeness in reply, but it'll make you feel superior to their uncouth.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:21 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• That's family for you. Expect to stay at your house and be treated like a king.

Answer by louise2 at 8:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• wow i could understand like a niece but an aunt???
    you would think adults would know better.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 9:36 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Tell SIL to have nothing but cold cereal and peanut butter & jelly sandwiches on hand to feed the x-aunt & kids. Maybe next time they'll rethink their plans.

If that won't work, tell your SIL's husband to that he will be waiting on them, providing them with meals and cleaning up after them for the whole weekend because she's not.

And why would they need to get a hotel room for the night after the game if it is only a two hour drive back home? I would be telling dear, rude x-aunty that she can get her own room & pay for it herself because you're going home!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:50 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• The nerve! Just because it's family they feel entitled.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I'd have told her I moved! 4 years? She wouldn't know the difference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I would have just said no.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:57 AM on Sep. 26, 2009