at one point am i to be concerned

I nany for a 2 year old a 4 year old and an 8 year old 40 hours a week. The two year old doesnt listen to me very well. When I tell her to come here she never comes etc. Now I realize you cant have very high expectations for a 2 year old but I am wondering if perhaps there may be something we are missing going on. I have to repeat EVERYTHING to her several times (as many as 8 sometimes) Is this normal for a two year old or should I talk to her parents about having her evaluated for possible hearing loss. And she also eats wierd things like shell try to eat an entire tube of toothpaste or dig chewed up gum out of the garbage or rocks and sometimes even takes her poopy diaper off and paints with it and tries to eat it. Is that normal too or is there perhaps something else going on?

katiekruschke

Asked by katiekruschke at 8:40 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've heard of kids doing all of these things. I'd try some experiments on her like instead of just calling her I'd say "Look what I have! It's a cookie!' and see how quickly she comes for that announcement. I'd also keep an eye on the eating weird things, that could be a condition called pica, which is caused by a vitamin deficiency.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• id talk to the parents but no this sounds like a noraml 2 yr old to me. hell me 3 yr old does that stuff still. like right now ive told her 4 time to go to bed and she keeps ignoring me and when i get up to spank her she says but i not mean too mommy. i go to bed riiiight now!.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 8:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Theres something going on I would be speaking to the parents ASAP and if there is nothing done ASAP then I would take it in your own hands. That is not normal for a two year old or an 8 yrs old. Hearing loss very possible in the 8 yrs old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• know the 8year old and 4 year are totally fine its just the 2 year old sorry for the confusion
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:51 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Is there more, like does she make eye contact? Does she like to hug? How does she respond to transitions?
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 9:16 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• she doesnt make eye contact she does love hugs and tickling does not do transitions well at all
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 9:30 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I would bring it up to mom, but be careful how you do this.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:24 AM on Sep. 26, 2009