How do I make a GREAT pot of coffee?

I have recently started drinking coffee most mornings. (I would swear I'm a better mother because of it, lol) After the first couple of pots and following directions (one large tablespoon per 6ozs of water) the coffee just doesn't taste as good as it did in the beginning. I cleaned the coffee maker out with vinegar and let fresh water run through it about three times, it hasn't really helped. How do you make your coffee in the morning?

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 8:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• People beleive that if you put more coffee, it will be stronger... it will, but it won't be bitter-strong. Alton Brown on the food network did a Good Eats show on coffee and he confirmed that if you use more coffee, then the "juice" extracted from the ground beans is only what is best, not the bitter end of the grind... I don't think I'm making much sense... but it comes down to less will be bitter coffee because you are trying to get too much out of your ground coffee.

I have a grind and brew from cuisinart and I use one more overflowing coffee spoon of beans than water. So if I put 6 cups (on the carafe) of water, then I will put 7 overflowing spoons of beans.

For ground coffee, I would say probably 2 scoops for every cups of water (again, carafe cups, not 8 oz).

Good luck!
    sauterelledesil

Answer by sauterelledesil at 9:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• The trick is, is to use ice cold water you will taste the difference. Of course you become a better mom to deal with in the am with a pot of coffee. If wakes you up FOLGERS is the other trick you have got to use folgers or fresh ground coffee.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:51 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I've been using Walmart brand Arabica. I need something that will stand my hair on end to wake me up, lol, otherwise I don't truly begin to function until about 6pm.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• one tablespoon per 6 ozs REALLY?? damn I make mine way too strong then lol! i use one of those scoops made for ground coffee, i put about 3 or 4 overfilling scoopfulls per 4 ozs of water. it tastes GREAT :) the stronger the better imo
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• That's what the directions say. I haven't been making it long enough to have worked out my own perfect formula, lol.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Ahhh.....it has been a little bitter.....so I'm not using ENOUGH of the good stuff.......Wow, I'm not sure I can afford my new coffee habit, lol.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• you know what I'm an idiot. I use 3-4 scoops per 4 cups of water lol.. totally different scenario.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• not ozs
    tnm786

• I have been making coffee for so long.I use a regular coffee maker and I put like 2 tablespoons and I add cinnamon to it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Sep. 25, 2009