Question about a cat

Okay my cat was bit in the lip by my kitten. The vet doesn't consider it an emergency to see him right away, because he's eating and acting normal, so I have to take him next week. The receptionist said to put antiseptic on it. She never said what kind and like rushed me off the phone. Well, what do you cat ladies suggest? I cleaned it out with a little soapy (his special shampoo) water fornow. However, I want to prevent infection but I don't want to put the wrong thing on it.

OneToughMami

Asked by OneToughMami at 8:48 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Pets

• Hydrogen peroxide
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• it all depends on where the bite is if its a through kinda thing then the soap and water should be ok...just watch it and make sure it doesnt start getting swollen...if its on the surface you could use a bit of peroxide on a q-tip to clean the area...Sounds like it wasent too big of a bite so as long as you watch it and make sure there isnt any pus or swelling(a little is ok--just not double size) he should be fine, may not even need the vet...

The best antiseptic to use is chlorohex. solution...can get it OTC @ the pharmacy---its usually blue but can sometimes be white--a little on a qtip and dabbed on the area should do it...

maybe post a pic so we can see it?
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I'll have to see if I can get his silly but to stay still. I'll have to make a pharmacy run if we don't have peroxide. I was really apprehensive about putting on him, so I will go check no see if we have some, if not, I'm heading out. I think it just looks worse that what it is because of his face shape.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 9:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Don't use peroxide that can actually irritate it. That used to be recommended but they have gotten away from that. Neosporin would work although honestly anything you use will more then likely be groomed off. If you do use it be aware that the cat may start foaming at the mouth because of the bad taste.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:39 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I'd use a saline wash on it like a wound wash solution

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I agree with the saline wash.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 3:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My vet has always said to use Neosporin or peroxide on wounds for antiseptic.
    CoCoMom89

Answer by CoCoMom89 at 10:11 AM on Oct. 1, 2009