Lactose Intolerance

My dd is 1 month tomorrow and keeps puking up everything she eats. After she eats she coughs horribly. She also has bad gassy problems. I took her to her doctor today to make sure she wasnt dehydrated and the doctor said that she may be lactose intolerant and wrote me a perscribtion to switch her WIC formula to soy based. I cant change out her formula until tuesday and have no money to buy soy formula at the moment, so we are sticking with it. Any suggestions from moms who have/had intolerant babies? can it go away? I'm new to this so please inform me of all you know. Thank you!!

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 9:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• get a hold of bizzygirlz she can tell you a whole lot.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 9:10 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Relactate.

Soy formula is really bad for babies. Go to google and research it. I would buy milk from a milk bank before I would use soy formula.

It's not too late to relactate. I've helped lots of moms do it when their baby was going to have to go on soy or the predigested formula. You can try nursing. If your baby will take the breast that is great! Then all you have to do is rebuild a milk supply. For help you can call a LLL Leader or Lactatiion Consultant.

For more info go to www.kellymom.com
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I was going to ask, why aren't u breastfeeding??
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• mine is lactose intolerant and we used gentle ease *cheaper than soy, and you can get walmart store brand which works the same, so you could try that, too, before switching to soy formula, if you haven;t done this already.* (wic!) and he seemed to tolerate it. at least when she is 1 she can have lactaid milk which is lactose free.

i breast fed and bottle fed so i could go out by myself more than 2-3 hours at a time.

however if you can relactate or still have breast milk, try pumping at least for some supplementary. wic doesn't give you ALL you need obviously so that would help too. there are some places where you can rent a really nice breastpump, and if you have medicaid that should pay the rent for a year. good luck!

by the way, i think its stupid enfamil discontinued lactofree formula.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:49 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• i am not breastfeeding because I have a 15 month old as well and between the two of them I get wiped out.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• It sounds as though baby is the one getting wiped out. Can you give relactating a try .... at least for your precious one so that she doesn't have to be in that kind of pain? Or perhaps look into some type of donor milk?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Call the ped and ask for soy samples. Most offices have samples on hand. Tell them you can't switch to soy until Tuesday.
    As for it going away, each child is different. My nephew out grew his allergy around 18 months old. But my kids still can't have any dairy products and they are 9 y/o and almost 5 y/o.
    Good Luck
    MuddyHuggies

Answer by MuddyHuggies at 10:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• MuddyHuggies wrote: "As for it going away, each child is different. My nephew out grew his allergy around 18 months old. But my kids still can't have any dairy products and they are 9 y/o and almost 5 y/o. "

A dairy allergy and lactose intolerance are two very different things. A dairy allergy means the child is allergic to one or more of the proteins in the milk, and a child can outgrow this type of allergy. But, lactose is milk sugar, not protein, and a child who is truly lactose intolerant is missing the enzyme necessary to digest the milk sugar and will typically be lactose intolerant their entire lives.

OP: make sure the problem really is lactose intolerance and not something more serious like reflux and/or aspirating some of her formula. The coughing may be a sign of this. If after trying the soy formula for a week she is still coughing and vomiting her feeds, I would request further investigation from her doc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• First, ignore those that want you to do something that is difficult for you. It is your choice and if you are exhausted or wiped out, you won't be good for anyone. Second, you really should borrow the money from someone to get a can of soy formula. I am lactose intolerant and now how much pain I can be in from dairy, please don't do that to your baby. Just as an FYI, an allergy and an intolerance are 2 different things and people don't outgrow and intolerance. If your doctor is recommending a different formula, that is what you should go with . Most of the moms on this site do NOT have medical degrees and shouldn't be telling you NOT to do something because they feel that it is bad for you or your baby. YOU are the parent, YOU do what you fell is right for your child and don't worry about anyone else.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:33 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• If your child is truly lactose intolerant, you wouldn't be able to breastfed anyway. Breast milk is extremely high in lactose. Most children don't develop a lactose intolerance until 2 or 3 for that reason. There are formulas that aren't soy-based that are meant for children that are lactose intolerant.  They add the enzyme into in that helps the body process lactose.

Small babies like yours are very rarely lactose intolerent, but she could have a milk allergy.  Research both thoroughly.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:22 AM on Sep. 26, 2009