my husband spends too much what do i do?

okay my husband is a shopaholic now, he keeps using the credit card but has a new job says he's gonna pay it off. but the cc bill keeps coming in saying he's putting more on it! he spend 170 at a bar with his friends! when i approach him about it he keeps giving me this "what are you gonna do about it?" type attitude and says it'll be okay. i've told him my overall goals saying i want all debt paid by 5 years so we can get a house and put our child in a decent school system. i don't think i'm asking much. its okay to buy things but not like this! and i'm upset he's not considering my feelings and putting stuff before his family. how do i talk to him that will hopefully see the light?

mommastink

Asked by mommastink at 9:21 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• You have a great plan but if he's not on the same page he won't appreciate your goal and won't abide by your budget to get there. Just ask him what he wants. Maybe his goals are not the same as your's

Answer by admckenzie at 9:32 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Your question sounds like a "Can this marriage be saved in a magazine."

My first suggestion. Buy a house really quick if you can and get the $8000 first time homebuyer tax credit. You have to buy by Nov 1. We were able to get a house in Tucson with a pool and our payments are around $500. When we get the money we can buy a used car and pay off our credit cards. You don't have to have all your debts paid to buy a house right now. We have been in the house a month and should get the tax credit any day.

Your husband doesn't want to be told how to spend money and really believes everything is going to be OK. He sounds like he is more of a present time thinker.

You are thinking ahead and he isn't on the same plan. It's really frustrating. So what to do if you can't buy a house now while there are great deals and the tax credit.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:34 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Cont.

Try to get on the same plan. If he doesn't want to do your 5 year plan then adjust. If you are going for the 5 year plan, have a backup plan in case something happens. Look for apartments in an area with a good school system. Consider homeschooling.

Maybe you could go to school part time and get a 2 year degree in something like nursing that pays a lot. You could work only part time and make as much as most women do full time. Your money could help buy that house. You may be able to find something with online courses and get enough financial aid (grants) to pay your tuition. When I went to college part time I was only gone 6 hours a week.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:41 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• i wish we could but we're already in a townhouse, we wouldn't get much a deal that we can afford. i would love to do that but we wouldn't get much more than what we have.
    mommastink

Answer by mommastink at 9:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• i'm already a teacher at a private school. i have an art degree. its kinda hard, my husband works 2 jobs one is 12 hrs the other is 24 hrs. so when i'm off work its mostly just our baby boy and i for some time. i actually thought about school again getting a degree in early education but i wasn't sure if it'd be helpfu in the long run.
    mommastink

Answer by mommastink at 10:00 PM on Sep. 25, 2009