Where do I sell my wedding ring?

My diamond wedding band is brand new, never worn. My boyfriend bought it 3 years ago, and we don't see a wedding anytime soon. I lost my job several months ago, and he got his salary cut several months ago. I constantly send resumes, and apply for jobs, but everyone seems to have an accounting degree like me. So the competition is tough.

I have the receipts, warranty, etc to the ring. He paid $500 for it, I don't expect $500, but I would like to get atleast $400.

Where can I sell it? I heard that pawn shops will probably only give me $100, $200 dollars.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• were i live we have a yard sale website call campbellyardsales.com.also knows as boo koo i think. anyways i know that other places have it. you could try posting it along with a picture or send a picture to whoever emails you.and try and get 400 or more for it. this could take some time tho. have you called a jewler?
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 9:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Craigslist?
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I tried craigs list and I get scam proposals like 'I'll wire the money to you' type of things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Keep trying craigslist. Realistically, your probably not going to get 400 for it. I love jewelry and buy most of mine used now and I WILL NOT pay more than 1/2 the purchase price for a piece. Most pawn shops will give you the value of the gold and a little bit more for the stones. Is there a jeweler around that does estate pieces and such? Sometimes those places will do a sale on consignment. A tip for future buying, at a mall type jeweler (zales, ect) the actual value of the piece is usually 10-30% of the price. Thats how much they mark it up. GL
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 10:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• contact local, independent, reputable jewelers. You will likely not be able to get more than 1/2 of the appraised value.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:37 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I had a very high quality 3.7 carat princess cut diamond ring from my ex-husband. I took it to a high end jewelry store and agreed to a consignment price. It took about 2 months to sell it but I got pretty close to what it was worth.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 7:53 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• If you take it to a jewelry store then you are more likely to get a good price for it - but it may take awhile to sell. If you take it to a pawn shop you may not get even half of the ring's value.
    AutymsMommy

Answer by AutymsMommy at 8:19 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• EBAY? Take high qulity pictures of it and put it on Ebay, with your asking price and let buyers know you have the original sales receipt and that it has never been worn. Be sure to include in the shipping amount the high cost of insuring the ring for the value and shipping. My sister had to mail me my rings back from NY and with a value of over $5K it cost her $60- to priority mail and insure them. With Ebay you don't have to worry about someone not paying you, if they dont, you can report them. Make sure you have a pay pal account so you get the money right away, and if you get yourself a pay pal debit card you can use it right away. Also keep in mind that there is a deduction from pay pal for the fee to get your money. I won't do craigslist since I would be afraid of geting robbed at the time of delivery. . . JMHO. Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Why sell it for a few hundred dollars? Why not hold onto it, or get married in a court house and begin your married life? Why do you have to have money to be married? Back in the old days, marriage was about starting a life together and sharing love. People were broke and worked on their fortunes and lives together. Nobody waited until they could have a lavish wedding, or waited until they were 'settled' and financially prepared to be married. It was all about love.

Personally, I wouldn't sell it. When you get your job and have more money, you'll simply end up spending more money to replace something you already had. It doesn't make sense to me to sell it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• probably the jewerly store i carried in a lot of old gold and a gold wedding band and broken gold jewerly and got more money than i thought i would i just wish i had some more gold to sell.
    georgia362

Answer by georgia362 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 26, 2009