At what age do little boys learn not to play with theirs or anyone's private parts?

My son is 6 and he's always been fasinated by his private parts and is always messing with it in the bathroom. We've had to tell him numerous times not to mess with it when we are out in public and he's finally stopped that, but now he thinks it's funny when his little brother (10 months) accidently puts his hand there when he's trying to crawl over him. And then he keeps trying to get him to do it. I have told him not to do this and all the reasons and stuff, but I am worried that he doesn't understand or that I might scare him or shame him. What do I do? Please any help is appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe you should talk to his pediatrician the bad thing is that some other parents wont understand this and if he goes to school and does it there it may raise concern with other parents and teachers you should get advice from his doctor or a teacher and they may be ableto point you to the wrong direction. Maybe also talking to him in a serious but not so scary matter!
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 9:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• we sat my ss down and talked to him seriously about what is appropraite and what is not he is 5 he kept trying to touch girls butts. it seems to have worked he has not done it again
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 9:48 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Don't be scared about messing him up. Private parts are just that PRIVATE. that means YOU (child) don't touch ANYONES privates and NO ONE can touch yours (except mom/dad when giving you a bath - and even that is just a quick make sure or if the dr. needs to look at something WITH Mom and Dad there.)

Besides if he keeps letting his lil bro crawl over his privates he's pretty soon he's going to get some MAJOR negative reinforcement from PAIN.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:18 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Don't worry, I think it's pretty normal with boys. I agree though, sit him down and look him in the eyes and tell him again about private parts. I've had this issue too. Private parts are for your bedroom or bathroom, no one but your mom and dad and doctor should be touching them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• They NEVER stop touching their OWN penises. He should NEVER be touching someone elses privates. That is wrong and needs to be stopped NOW. Have his pediatrician talk to him about who is allowed to touch his privates and when.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• men actually never stop playing with their private parts. My son at 3 was taught that while it feels good, it was something he should engage in while in a different room than the rest of the family cause that was not something we share with each other or our friends and strangers. He was also told that touching someone elses's privates was not allowed and other than him noone should be touching his privates. Unless he's at a doctor's office or he's little and mom or dad are bathing him. And only long enough to wash it.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I don't have boys, but I agree that they will probably never stop touching their own penis. Grown men can't even seem to leave it alone, lol. The thing with his little brother though isn't right and I'd talk to him about what is private and why we don't touch others or let others touch us. If he keeps it up still, maybe he will have to learn the hard way by having his stepped on by a toddler brother.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• The thing with his little brother is normal and a perfect opportunity for you to teach him about respecting other peoples private areas and his own. Just like teaching him anything else, it will take some time. You can't expect for you to tell him once and then poof! he stops. I have to agree with the other moms, I don't think he will ever stop touching his own. LOL
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 3:28 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I wouldnt make him feel ashamed of things/feelings hes having..at that age they dont fully understand what is going on with their bodies. A short and discreet explanation is probably all you can do at this time. like "i know you think its funny,or feels different , but its not appropriate"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Sep. 30, 2009