behaviour issues

My grandson have become a spitter,for several months now he is spiting on the school bus and all over his body,he does it when he is frustrated and cannot have things his way he has severe autism and is none verbal I would like him to stop this behavior so any advice from all of you moms out there will be greatly appreciated

foreverhumble

Asked by foreverhumble at 9:40 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The fact that he has autism causes this to be more of a complex problem.

But here is a suggestion that I find works with my dd ( who is mildly autistic) when she becomes stuck in a pattern or behavior. I change the normal daily routine, and provide another outlet. For instance, his spitting....If possible have him picked up by car for the next month. This will eliminate the school bus spitting. Now, when you see him getting frusterated and anxious...give him another outlet for his frustration that is acceptable.

Maybe a punching pillow or a tension squeezer ball.....maybe a punching bag or a balloon to pop....ANYTHING that he likes that can take the place of the spitting.

Make it something he likes and it will pull his mind away from the spitting, maybe ;)

Just thought I would suggest this b/c it has worked for me in the past. Change up, maybe he too will change ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Oh, I meant to say that his "outlet" for his frustration.....it would really be good if it were something he could do at school too, and maybe take on the bus eventually too.....so that he can appropriately release his tension!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Thank you for the suggestion.
    foreverhumble

Answer by foreverhumble at 2:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2009