1 week old eating off and on...help!

I'm breastfeeding and formula feeding. I breastfeed during the day and give formula at night so my hubby can help. Anyway after feeding him a bottle he'll eat 1 ounce then fall asleep...wake up 30 min-1 hour later for the rest. And this goes on and on...with my breast he'll eat for 10 min on one side..fall asleep, wake up 30 min- 1 hour later and do the other. I've tried waking him up, etc. Also! Sometimes he'll drink 2 ounces and will immediately cry for more.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hes used to breast feeding its normal....just be patient or try to keep him awake to eat...hes one week he sleeps alot....be patient...once hes awake for longer periods hell eat more and youll be fine..best of luck
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 9:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• This is normal. You should really hold off on the bottle until he is four weeks old.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My son is 11 days old and he does the same thing when I nurse him. I usually just have to tickle the bottom of his foot to wake him up a little and he keeps nursing. I have to do this several times when I'm nursing him but it works and he'll go 2-3 hours between feedings during the day.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 10:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• This is normal. I agree with rkoloms that you should hold off on formula for at least four weeks, i would say 6 actually. You need to get your milk supply up and running and that takes a full 6 weeks.

I would wake my babies up in between sides by changing their diapers i.e. feed one side for 10-15 minutes, change diaper, feed second side for 10-15 minutes. If he's especially sleepy you might have to take him off every 5 minutes to wake him up. This is important if you want to go more than 30 minutes between feedings.

Whatever you do don't go more than 9-10 hours without breastfeeding or you won't have an adequate supply of milk.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 11:33 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Normal. But if you want to keep your supply up, you should be pumping when he gets a bottle.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:02 AM on Sep. 26, 2009