My 1 year old hits...

My daughter just turned a year old and she has started hitting. I'm pretty sure she knows she is doing it because when she gets mad she will scream and smack me or her dad over and over. She hits us fairly hard and I don't want this to continue. I've tried smacking her hand back but she just cries and then hits harder and more. I don't know how to stop this behavior. I don't want her to be one of those kids who hits people or me. But I don't know what to do! I can't put her in timeout cause shes only a year old and theres no way she would stay

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You CAN put her in time out....you just have to work really hard at it...and you have to be firm and consistent. If she is old enough to understand to hit, she is old enough for time out.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Yes put her in time out (a pack n play or chair) for one minute. Tell her she is not allowed to hit then do not say anything to her until one minute is up. If she gets up simply put her back dont say anything to her though. When the minute is up tell her we do nice touches and make her touch your face nice. And say sorry (or try) and then tell her you love her and give her a hug
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 10:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My son did that too, started hitting when he turned 1 year old. It took about 6-8 months of consistent discipline before he stopped. If you decide to do time-outs or gentle hand spankings stick with it. it takes a while for them to catch on. Hopefully your daughter will catch on quicker than my son did!
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 10:36 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I put my son in his crib and when I take him out I ask "are you sorry?" and he seems to be embarrased and gives me a hug (meaning yes he is sorry.)
    The only problem is sometimes he is NOT sorry. I have started (since I dont think it would work to hit him back) to grab his hand and squeeze it (not hard, just enough so it is unpleasant) when he hits. We will see how that goes, so far it seems to be working.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:22 AM on Sep. 26, 2009