1 week plus out of state with the in-laws X-/

The week before thanksgiving we are drining 9 hours to spend a week-ish with the in-laws... his grandparents and his dad and his younger sister (and i mostly have a problem with the last two). but his grandma isn't in great health and does tend to forget to cook meals... and having a one year old who isn't that great at chewing yet, his options are still limited. i don't want to have to pack a whole freakin' cooler full of his snacks and meal stuff, etc. but i guess i might have to. but where do you store it when there isn't room in the fridge when you get there? oy! and just trying to tolerate a week of in-laws... at least we aren't staying with fil and sil.... they are super rude and don't give a care if they cuss or make too much noise or belch, fart etc, especially around my little guy.. cuz that TOTALLY teaches him manners. im so glad my hubby knows better.... now! lol

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 10:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• You can bring new jars and packages of food that dont need to be kept cold. Remember to take DEEP breaths when they piss you off or upset you. Or just take baby out of the room if they are belching and farting. How gross.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Are you staying with the family or are you getting a hotel room? If the plan doesn't include getting a hotel room for the duration of your stay, you really should reconsider & get one, preferably with a mini refrigerator & microwave so that you can store & prepare snacks/meals for your LO. Even if you totally adored your in-laws I would suggest this, because it is good to have your own space to chill out and regroup without having to worry about being disturbed by well-meaning family. With your own space you can spread out & relax on your own terms and be in control of your visits, which is a nice thing, especially if your family tends to be overbearing and/or inconsiderate of your & your family's needs.

Just a thought.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:31 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• What I would do is grab a bunch of shelf stable snacks for your LO and then when you get there you can figure out how much room you have in the fridge and make a stop at a local grocery store. It will give you a chance to break away and maybe just take the baby with you...

Otherwise, just remember that this is going to be a short stay compared to living there, and make the best of it. I have the best inlaws (not to rub it in) and we all mil, fil,bil,bil, and our family which at the time was me, dh and two little boys stayed a week in a condo in Colorado. Had a blast *MOST* of the time, by the time we were on the road to go back home, I was soooo glad that we had our own van because I was just itching for my own space....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 9:56 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• If a hotel room isn't an option, I would take a few days worth of meals and snacks in a cooler. When those are gone, go to a store and purchase a few more days worth. That way, you won't have to store a big quantity, but your little one will be well fed. Also, you might offer to cook a few meals to help gramma. She would probably rather spend time visiting than in the kitchen, although if you are in there, she might join in.
    I know my Mom has forgotten how regimented you have to be with a LO. When I offer to go get dinner started, she'll pitch in. It definitely makes the work easier/faster with 4 hands instead of 2 and we usually have some good laughs while doing it.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:54 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• PS
    Have you ever tasted one of those shelf stable meals? My DS wouldn't eat them, once I tasted it, I knew why. They are F'nasty!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• You can get a hand babyfood mill for around ten dollars.
    there are probably grocery stores where you will be staying that sell foods your child will eat.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:41 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I feel for you. We have gone away with my in-laws and they drive me crazy however not as crazy as your in-laws do. I also agree a hotel room might be the way to go.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• PS

What I was talking about was like, granola bars, crackers, cheerios...things that don't need refrigerated....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2009