Christians in the UK charged for dicussing religion?

A Christian couple have been charged with a criminal offence after taking part in what they regarded as a reasonable discussion about religion with guests at their hotel.

Ben and Sharon Vogelenzang were arrested after a Muslim woman complained to police that she had been offended by their comments.

They have been charged under public order laws with using ‘threatening, abusive or insulting words’ that were ‘religiously aggravated’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1214666/Christian-hotel-owners-hauled-court-defending-beliefs-discussion-Muslim-guest.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0SArbEZSo

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I guess the next thing will be for Christians to be used to feed the lions in the Colissium. Maybe we are in the time the anti-Christ will roam the earth for 1000 years.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• When your in a foreign country your American rights DO NOT APPLY. You are responsible for knowing and following that countrys laws and rules and regulations.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:32 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I can't get the link to work, but the UK is a Christian nation - right?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• That's the best thing I can think of, to get arrested for... May God bless them!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Why should people constantly be allowed to push their religious beliefs on others. Christians should just learn to mind their own damn business and stop trying to convert everyone they meet just because they don't agree with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• sounds to me it was a discussion anon I dont know where you get all that from but even IF they were doing that the muslim woman could of walked away seems simple no instead they get charged for offending her?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• A Christians idea of a reasonable conversation is not always considered reasonable by non-Christians. And yes, you can walk away but sometimes the "reasonable comments" are actually offensive and it's about time that someone stepped up and let Christians know it. I am Jewish and quite frankly it gets annoying. The Christian who offends always looks like a lost deer with headlights in their faces when it's brought to their attention that they crossed the line. They were just trying to get their point across. A Christian cannot have a conversation about religion with people with differing beliefs without somehow offending.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Alot of us are offended by different things every single day should we press charges against anyone who offends us? Seems nuts to me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• not long ago (in the last month or so) there was a man in the UK who had worked for the housing authority of some type for 15 yrs. he had become friends with a couple, and while he was doing a visit for work, they were telling him about their problems. health, finances, had to have an elderly relative move in, etc. etc. as he was leaving he told them he would be praying for them in their problems. that was it. he wasnt pushing his faith on them. that was all he said. the people complained, and he was fired on the spot. if i remember correctly, he was charged with the same "crime" as the people above. and wow, girls. there are a lot of the pots calling the kettle black on this thread. why is it you can say ugly things about christians, but your religion is off limits? i will agree, some that call themselves christian dont know the first thing about what a real one is~but dont lump us all together. your only doing the same thing
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 12:00 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I am not saying ugly things about Christians. I am stating my feelings. If I were to do what Christians do to non-Christians on a daily basis THAT would be stopping to a level below me. I never say what i'd like to say in regards to Christianity and the beliefs Christians have. They go against the 10 Commandments on so many levels it's sad. But I keep my feelings to myself. It would be nice if Christians could do the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Sep. 26, 2009