what could i try to help lower back pain (36 weeks)?

i know i'll be going into labor within the next 2 or 3 weeks, im dialated 1 cm as of tuesday. pretty sure i been having random contractions, they are not extremely painful, i just feel like i'm on my period and kinda like i need to poo. (i know i don't cuz i went this morning) i'm having really bad low back pain. i wish i could lay on my tummy, but then i would squish my little baby :( what can i do to releive the pain some?

mandielynn23

Asked by mandielynn23 at 10:13 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can do pelvic rocks. Get down on all fours, keep your back straight and move just your hips forward in a rocking motion back and forth. This will help with the lower back pain, and help your baby to maneuver into position for birth :)

Take a hot shower and aim the water right at your back, but be careful if you decide to have a bath because the water shouldn't be too hot. That can be harmful. I think you have to keep it at like 98 or 96 degrees or something like that. The shower can be as hot as you want it to be, and it feels better on your back.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Heating pad & a warm bath. Although not much will help a 36 weeks. My little man was born at 36 weeks, so I didn't suffer long with back pain.
    iheartkewi

Answer by iheartkewi at 10:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Lay on your side with a pillow between your knees and that may help. Back pain is the worst when preggo. Hope you feel better soon.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:25 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• It sounds like your having back labor or braxton hicks. I had that with my son and it hurt like the dickens. I took warm baths often and laid in bed with my tummy propped on a pregnancy wedge. Hang in there you only have a few weeks left!
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Definitely the pelvic rocks mentioned above you may also want to get a rebozo, or a maternity belt. Do not overuse a heating pad, no more than 20 min at a time. Ice is very useful too-- just be sure the ice is not directly on the skin.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:23 AM on Sep. 26, 2009