What color appliances do you have/prefer? Pros and Cons?

We are thinking about getting stainless steel appliances but I have heard so many horror stories about kids and dents on stainless steel appliances. I love the look of them but I don't want it to be all dented up LOL

BlessednHappy

Asked by BlessednHappy at 10:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Mine are white because the counter tops are dark marble. I would have liked stainless steele but they show EVERY damn fingerprint and dirt spot, just like black ones which Ide also Like but with my dark countertops black ones would have made the kitchen look gloomy and darker
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:22 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• we have red and black. both show dirt pretty easy, but as long as you clean them, its great. but our microwave is stainless steel... awesome!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I have all white appliances, for the big stuff. The countertop appliances are red. I like the look of Stainless also...but it is a constant wipe-down to keep them looking nice. I also know that they scratch easily, not so much dents...but def scratches and fingerprints. There are special wipes and cleaners on the market that help to keep them clean, but my mom uses a microfiber towel and Olive Oil...keeps hers looking very nice.
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 10:51 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I HAVE WHITE AND I LOVE IT....NO MATTER WHAT YOU HAVE YOUR GONNA HAVE TO CLEAN IT FOR IT TO LOOK GOOD,BLACK AND STAINLESS SHOW EVERYTHING THOU !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:45 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I have always had white applicances b/c that's what came with the places we have lived in. However, if I had my choice, I would definately have all stainless steel - the no fingerprint showing kind from GE (I think that's who makes them). The white appliances do show every speck of dirt (but not fingerprints), but they wipe down very easily, so no biggie to keep looking good.

And as far as showing dents & stuff, well, when my son was about 2, he took a toy push broom and proceeded to play golf against my white refrigerator. That little stunt left about 6 dents on the front of my refrigerator before I could grab the broom, so don't think it is just SS applicanes that show dents.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:27 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Our stainless fridge and stove are fingerprint city, all the time. I swear I make more prints on it when I clean it. Black shows prints but you can clean it easily. Stainless is a pain.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:21 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• We have basic white; it can be scrubbed without damage. Stainless steel is a nightmare; it scratches very easily and (if you have kids) always looks dirty.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:23 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I have white which came with the house but I would have preferred stainless. Either one needs to be cleaned alot
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 8:45 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I'd love stainless steel despite the finger print issue. When I worked in my college cafeteria we had stainless steel coolers all throughout the kitchen and we used special cleaner on it to keep the finger prints down.
    Anyway, we have white appliances. They are always a mess. Our stove is over 40 years, old, though and up until this spring our dishwasher was mustard yellow...vintage 70s, lol. It finally died and we couldn't fix it so we now have a white one. We do have a stainless steel microwave. It's always covered in finger prints.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:01 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I have almond appliances. They are light but not as hard to keep clean as white. I personally don't like the look of stainless steel--just too cold and industrial-looking for me.Like they should be in a restaurant or something. Well my kitchen is red and cream-color so the almond looks good, too.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:12 AM on Sep. 26, 2009