Does anyone else's 3 year old still try to eat the crayons and Playdoh?

I wish I could get her to stop. I can't give her some thing to color or some Playdoh and walk 5 feet away to do dishes or change a diaper without her putting it in her mouth. she has absolutely no restraint even after I tell her no and give her a time out. she asks to color or use Playdoh often but I have to sit on top of her when she has it. how do I get her to stop with out taking it away?

litlsuzzy

Asked by litlsuzzy at 10:18 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm not sure how to get her to stop, but I don't see any health risks in it for eating crayons since most are non-toxic. Play-doh on the other hand I think has a lot of sodium in it. But I don't let my daughter play with play-doh because I can't stand the smell of it, so she plays with non-toxic clay.

I never had the problem with her eating crayons or the clay, but my daughter is 3 and still tries to eat money or weird things from the floor. She actually picked up a potato bug the other night and popped it in to her mouth =-/

I'm sorry I can't give much help, I just wanted to let you know other kids still much odd things, I think your daughter is munching the much healthier alternatives though.
    zeroblivion

Answer by zeroblivion at 10:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Not to scare you but my DD was the same way and she will be 6 in Oct and may have just gotten over it during the summer. She would lose her privileges at school for a day but it never made a difference.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:38 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• It is usually something a younger child does, but it isn't that unusal. I work in a preschool with 3 and 4 year olds and some of them put all kinds of things in their mouths. It is a challenge to stop them. I wouldn't go overboard with punishment, just tell her that the things are for playing NOT eating. Tell her that if she keeps putting the crayons and playdough in her mouth, she can't use them. She won't get sick from it but her BM may be colorful for a few days.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:01 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Some kids just put things in their mouth more than others. My second child, my daughter, ate books, play-dough, crayons, foam, coins, you name it. Hell, the girl is 7 and sometimes I still catch her putting something in her mouth that shouldn't be.

My two boys weren't like this. In fact, my 2 year old son almost never puts anything in his mouth that isn't food.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2009