Ellen G White

I have been seeing her name alot of late so I read up alitle on her. She was a founder of the Seventh Day Adventist Church. She used to be a Millerite, but that was a false religion. So Ellen starts getting visions from God, and also a health message. The health message is vegetarianism. Ummmm doesn't the bible speak out agianst these kinds of prophets? If it doesn't I stand correct. If it does why do you follow her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• A question of clarification, please. Is Ellen G. White called a prophet by her members? Or is she just speaking of possible reasons when eating meat not be a good idea? The bible does speak out against being told to abstain from meat. Does Ellen White say that God came to her in a vision and told her to preach not to eat meat anymore? The bible is God's word. God's word does not change. Why would any one follow a religion that goes against God's word.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I'm Seventh Day Adventist raised in the church. 1'st name one religion that some body don't get a vision from god . Mary got a vision Noah the list goes on .You don't believe some one can receive a vision from God. Second what she speaks about is different then what the bible explains to you to eat.

lilmama29113

Answer by lilmama29113 at 11:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• lilmama, as you said, lots of people get visions. That doesn't mean they are from God. That's just not a good enough reason to follow someone when you've got scripture right in front of your face and can read it to follow God yourself. Fortunately in the Bible, with correct interpretation of the Bible doesn't contradict itself. All of the valid visions in the Bible are supported throughout the Bible. EGW came up with things that put legalistic rules back on to the relationship with us that Christ came to establish. She also made statements that go against commonly accepted medical truths. She's a prophet? Maybe. A false one? I think so. Mohammed was a prophet; why don't you follow him? So was Nostradamus (and most historians feel that he's one of the most dead-on prophets in the world). Being a "propet" doesn't mean anything, if what they say isn't from God; it's not worth following.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I'm not Adventist now, but I was raised Adventist and went to church school too. None of Mrs. White's prophecies contradict anything written in the bible. Every one of her visions only explains what the bible says. You might try reading some of the stuff she wrote, and wonder how a sickly young woman who never finished the 8th grade could write like that if she wasn't inspired by God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I thought it was the third grade that she stopped at... Also I have asked my self this. I mean the bible actually tells us to beware of prophets telling us to abstain from marriage and meats. Yes I know tha the meats are not good anymore, so why didn't Paul mention that? I am so confused on tihs too, btw I am a secdon generation adventist. I went to the church school too. Anon how come you are not adventist if you believe she is the truth? Also she had people writing for her. She would tell them the things as far as I know and they would put it together.. She just asked them to make it flow but don't add or take away. But agian what do I know...
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 12:13 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• This the verse that deals with that abstaining from foods specifically.

1 Timothy 4 (New International Version)

1 Timothy 4
    Instructions to Timothy
    1The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 12:37 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I'm not SDA and I only know a little bit from a friend that was, but I have to ask this... why does it matter to you? I mean no disrespect OP, but really why id it important to you? As long as their teachings do not interfere with the way you worship and your relationship with Jesus then what does it matter? I'm just curious. Hopefully you were just asking strictly out of curiosity and because you wanted to learn something and not to bash...

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:42 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Yes it is out of curiosity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• anime, Why do you try so hard to try to make people feel bad for speaking up on issues that interest them? What is it hurting you? Information is good. Here's the question to you, the question you constantly ask others....Does it interfere with the way you worship when people talk about religious practices? If you don't like the posts then why don't you just move on without making the topic about the person posting? The Question isn't "Ask me why I ask."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Well my problem is that some of these questions border on insulting other people's beliefs and then some just outright insult them. It is very rare anymore to have someone ask just out of curiosity and to gain a better understanding of another religion, and usually those are not posted by anons. No it doesn't interfere with the way I practice my faith, you are right. However, other questions have outright insulted my faith and I will defend my faith until the end. You (or anyone else for that matter) have NO RIGHT to insult my faith and the things I believe. This one does not insult my faith, but there is some question as to whether the person asking wants to argue (their first response to a comment appeared to be that way) or if they want to grow as a person and learn about another religion, so I was just asking. No one ever seems to want to actually answer my questions when I ask them though... is it because you cannot?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:26 AM on Sep. 26, 2009