A voice for the voiceless. What issues matter to you most?

For school, I have to develop a plan of action in response to a current issue in society. It must be in advocacy for any group that one would feel is "voiceless" or has trouble being heard (must be human groups or individuals, I can't do environmental or animal rights issues).

I have a million ideas but I want to hear from you. I want to develop something that really will help people and mean something to them.

So, what issue immediately comes to your head after reading this? Is there something you are passionate about? Just post the topic. I can do the research myself.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm a big supporter of Pit Bull Awareness, but like you said, that's not about humans. My next choice would be anything to do with Parkinson's Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, or any other neurological disorder.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 10:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Children or the disabiled. I use to want to be a social worker and specialize in neglected children or disabled adults, but I know I would have a broken heart everyday. There is a disabled woman who lives in my apartment building and talking to her has broken my heart many times. Her "helpers" ignore her, neglect her, and she feels like a child because of it. I have even took it upon myself to find research help for her. So yeah, sorry to go off on a tangent back to the subject: when I was younger and wanted to be a social worker I always wanted to have my own homeless shelter where instead of just housing the homeless I would work with them to get jobs and save money to own their own place.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Disabled Vets, disabled children, abused/neglected children, abused/neglected animals
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 11:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• overdone ones like: abortion, gay marriage, etc.

HOWEVER, what about midwives and how so many states look down on that, and so do a lot of doctors. why can't women have the choice (see ricky lake: the business of being born)

also how autism ISN'T caused by immunizations and kids need to get immunized.

or at risk kids who people say have no hope, but really if people just showed them they believed they could be someone, they really could and would be!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• You know all of those people you see on the side of the road with signs that say will work for food. I think someone should take them up on it.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 11:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Disabled Vets and money being cut from our school system.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 11:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Children of the rural poor. Right here in America, poor children in rural communities are going to school hungry every day. Their parents don't know about or are not where they can access Public Assistance programs. Even in this day and age, some of these children don't have telephones, televisions, newspapers or radios in the home. These children are totally voiceless and they need help desperately. I know because I was one myself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• People who don't have health insurance. I'm not talking about illegal aliens, I'm talking about the middle class who's employers don't provide it and who don't make enough money to pay for individual insurance or who have medical conditions that make them uninsurable.
    amy5272

Answer by amy5272 at 12:14 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Abuse and deprivation of the elderly. For all the oldsters living comfortably and with loving families, there are as many living in poverty, alone, sometimes victimised because of their vulnerability. Some are abused by their own families, especially where there is money involved.

There needs to be more organised support at the community level to identify and assist those in need and vulnerable, and measures to ensure abuse and neglect are criminal acts and subject to police investigation.

Many of the elderly are ' voiceless ' , they are not newsworthy, of little political interest and have no- one lobbying for them in Washington.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:31 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Children... being poor, abused, something like that...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:07 AM on Sep. 26, 2009