military mommas

k am gonna be going back to school soon,i was wondering do u guys no if there is any grants or goverment help for military spouses? thank u

piwife

Asked by piwife at 11:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe you can use your husbands GI bill.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 11:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• From the department of Veteran Affairs site:

http://gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/Transfer.htm
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 11:11 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I don't know what branch you are in, but the Air Force's Officer's Spouses Clubs offer scholarships. I also think some colleges that do the distance learning thing on the bases offer reduced tuition.

I think you can use the GI bill as well. I know your kids can.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• MARINES
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• go to militaryonesource.com than type in MyCAA the government will pay for up to $6k in training in a job they consider a "portable career" so something you can do anywhere: medical, teaching, etc.... only takes a few weeks to get approved. your spouse can also sign over a portion of his G.I. Bill to you, the percentage depends on how long he's been in all based off of 9/11, if he was in then, than he can sign over more. also the bases have a college office, you can go there they will give you info on grants and loans specifically for military spouses.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:22 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I know for army our Community Services offer scholarships at alot of posts, most don't cover much, but every little bit helps. Of course, you have the GI Bill if your dh signed up for it he can transfer it to you. Of course you should apply for a Pell grant, depending on your dh's rank, you may get some there. Go to your Bases Education Center and they should be able to give you all the information you need.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:39 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• yes, just like vabchmommy said.. go there... thats what i went thru.. i am currently attending school (online) thru them.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:00 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• the gi bill has "rules"... like for us.. my husband has to reinlist a certian amount of times for me to be able to use it... and we cant share it either... as far as i know..
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:01 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• There is the MyCAA that can be found through military one source. I attend Ashford University and take courses online. I am getting my Bachelors in Psychology. The offer an aid package for military spouses. If you are a military spouse they will pay for your books and give you around a $300 discount for every class that you take. There is of course the Pell Grant as well that you apply for when you fill out a FAFSA for student aid. You can also talk to the education center and get information about transfering his GI BIll if he took it when he enlisted and if he is not planning on using it! Best of luck on going back to school!
    MrsHatch4

Answer by MrsHatch4 at 9:53 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• dh told me he had to be in 10yrs in order for me to use the gi bill
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:05 AM on Sep. 26, 2009