my son doesnt like water in his eyes and freaked out during his bath....

he's gotten many baths in his 17 months on earth. and I know he doesnt like water in his eyes, but tonight, the sound of the showerhead which he is used to, freaked him out and he climbed out of the tub screaming. i dont think he was scared of the sudden noise, but perhaps he linked the showerhead sound to getting his hair washed which means water in his face. i even tried playfully splashing him which he usually likes, but forget it this time lol. if I use a small bucket instead of the showerhead to wet and rinse his hair, he doesnt freak AS much, but sometimes the showerhead does a better rinsing job so I just use that. I heard about people using visors, but he doesnt like hats, so that wouldnt work. I tried to tell him "it's ok" and even tried showing him I turned it back off, put it back up, and tried putting him back in the "safe showerhead-free" tub but he was DONE at that point...any tips?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:32 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my kid freaks out I talk to him calmly and tell him over and over that he is ok. I hold him (even when he's wet) until he settles down. After a while he's ok. (until he gets more water in his eyes, lol). Maybe just try comforting him and he'll be able to not lose it at the sound of a showerhead. =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 11:34 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• They have the cups with the rubber part that rests againt their forehead to keep the water out out their eyes. I've seen them at Walmart. My younger sister hated water in her eyes. She hated baths/showers period until she was almost 3.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:36 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• before he escaped he stood up and wanted me to hold him, then soon he climbed out lol. once he was out I still held him and spoke calmly to him, he kinda calmed down and I tried putting him back in the tub after I showed him the showerhead was off and put back up. but he freaked out when I tried putting him back in the tub. I pulled the drain plug and we were done. he was fine once he was in a towel and SO came in to help out...
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:38 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• hmm mommylee interesting! the walmarts in my town only have visors.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• try looking on their website. I know they have a section for bath things. You can see what they look like....maybe you can find them in another store or buy it online.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:41 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• So, I give my DD some snacks while I wash her hair. I'll put a few graduates puffs on the side of the tub so she's distracted while I wash her hair.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 11:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• perhaps try something that slowly trickels water out like a watering can. I found a small cup with a lot of holes on the bottom. We act like it is "raining" on him- it comes out slowly and isn't too much at once.
    Or you could cut his hair relatively sort and use a wash cloth to rinse.
    Sometimes my son will lie on his back. This works like a charm but isn't something that happens every night.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• what are they called? i'm not sure where to look in the baby bath section. most of the categories other than actual tubs are toys and storage...
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• oooh he doesnt like being laid on his back in the tub! triiiied it lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:48 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• We just buzz DS's hair down to 3/8 of an inch, use a washrag with soap on it to scrub down his hair at the same time as his face/body and then rinse the soap out of it and use it again to get the soap back off him. No more screaming in tub time. He's 3.5 now but we still do it because its easy.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:05 AM on Sep. 26, 2009