Does your child have dyslexia?

Do they go to special classes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Health

• yes they do. its a learning disability.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• also they need more help then other kids so they need smaller classes and one on one more. i know a little girl with it, they dont do anything about it so they failed her 2 times and they just passed her to pass her this year!! just make sure the child IS NOT over looked bc they will over look them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• OP here- are they in mainstream classes?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My daughter does. She needed extra reading help for a year until she was on grade level. Now she's a really good reader. She does get extra math help still. Now that she is in Middle School, there are no "pull out" classes so she is all main stream with extra help in math when she needs it. In elementary she was pulled out for math and writing. She no longer needs the writing help though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I am dyslexic. And no, there were no special classes. In fact the school district I was in diagnosed me but then turned around and said it's not a valid disability so I didn't qualify for special classes. I had to work a little harder, but those classes would have hurt more than helped. Dyslexia is not something that needs to hold you (or in this case your child) back. It takes more time to get used to, and it can slightly hinder progress. However, I would never recommend LD classes for a dyslexic! If you can get an extra reading tutor early on, that would be best. But those other classes are usually way behind the regular ones academically which means her education will suffer. If you can talk to the school they may have other options for you. Remedial reading programs or someone to read the tests to her... But I tell you from experience - LD classes are NOT the answer!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:25 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I am and no I didnt go to special classes. It just hurts when people make fun of me getting mixed up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Find someone to work with your child to learn how to work around the dyslexia

Answer by rkoloms at 6:13 PM on Sep. 26, 2009