2 1/2 year old swearing?

Ok yes I made the mistake of accidentally saying dumb ass in front of my 2 1/2 year old boy. and now he will randomly run around saying dumb ass...or lately he has started saying mommy is dumb ass....I honestly dont know what to do. My husband and I have been telling him its naughty but then he starts saying it more and more....louder and louder, and starts laughing, we are going to start trying a timeout every time he says it but honestly i dont know what else to do....Any suggestions?

jlcazzola

Asked by jlcazzola at 11:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At that age the more you say about it the more he wants to say it. He likes the attention he gets for it. Try ignoring it all together.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Ivory soap. Warning, may give him the runs.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• when my son says a bad word i get really serious and say "that's a BAD word!" and his smile dissapears and he realizes he shouldn't say it. but it looks like you've tried this and it doesn't work. soo i agree with treynlisa. ignore it completely!
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 12:58 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I think you are probably giving him too much attention when he says it. It's become a game to him, it gets a BIG shock out of mom and dad! You need to totally and absolutely IGNORE it when he says it, act like he has not said a thing. You should keep in mind though, that the reaction he gets from other people will encourage him as well, so you may need to hang out at home for a few days...
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 2:40 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Ignore it. My DS does the same thing because my DH has a potty mouth.
    tamale102280

Answer by tamale102280 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009