Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any advice? Need help and don't qualify for PA!

Okay, I don't qualify for PA but I am struggling! I'm struggling so much I can't pay bills. I've cut off cable and internet to save money(i'm on my mom's computer). I'm selling things that I can live without to get extra money to pay for bills. I have what you call normal bills. I own a home. Mortgage is 750/month. I HAVE to move but can't sell my house due to economy. I can rent it but won't get enough to cover mortgage....still due to economy. Does anyone know of any options for me? I have 2 kids and am doing everything I can to provide for them. I work full time...I am not allowed to get a second job. And where I'm moving, its out of the question even more. I'm moving overseas. I have no choice but to move even though I can't sell my house. I am taking a pay cut where I am moving to so I am going to struggle even more since I'm still paying the mortgage. By the way, I'm in the military.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • There are a few reputable places that will buy homes from owners with the intention of reselling them. You may have to take less than the value because of that, but it wouldn't hurt to see if one is interested. Also, to help save money, if you have a car you are making payments on, try and get it rid of it. Since you are moving, either get a cheap car that will last until you go or borrow a family member's car if possible. Car payments are one of the biggest things that can kill you financially. Also, if you want to consider renting it, you could possibly get $800 a month if you could rent it to several single people in the military or college students. My dad was military and they are still renting their home out at $800 a month near Norfolk, VA. They rent it to 4 guys, so $200 a month for each one worked for them. Try advertising in the military ads, commissary, or at the colleges. :) Good luck!

    Answer by BunniBunni at 11:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • I found a website for our community that had a place that you could post your needs and then if someone feels like helping, they can go through the "wish list" and choose who to help. Its not guaranteed but I know that there are a couple people here who end up giving out thousands of dollars to help others. You might want to look into that.

    Answer by auroura at 11:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • Back in the days when it was just me and dd and i made enough to cover the bills but not food I would take in alterations in the evening. If you live in an area where the schools require uniforms you have a built-in clientele. I'd charge five dollars a pair to hem pants. It doesn't take long and I could easily make an extra $30 a night after I put dd to bed.

    Answer by always_chris at 11:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • If you are in active duty they cannot forclose on your home. You can google this, however my bank states it is illegal

    Answer by romanceparty4u at 12:45 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • Thats not true romance, They only can not foreclose if she is in the war, Meaning she is deployed. Its called the Soldier & Sailors Relief Act. They can repo your cars, foreclose your house etc if you are just on active duty and at your duty station. AND if you deploy to active war zones you have to let all financial institutions know in advance, You get a form to send to them and you have to fax your orders to them as well for them not to foreclose or repo your stuff. But ehhhhh that doesn't mean shit they still will repo your car we learned the hard way :D But eventually they dropped it because they tried to take us to court and our lawyer had a nice discussion with theres. BUt OP!!!! Girl use the food banks on base, Also how can you not afford your mortgage, You get a housing allowance, ( not being rude just wondering).

    Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:02 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • You could always sell to own your homw to some one and ask for a good down payment to cover foreclosure.

    You could even rent it out if you still wanted to keept it but asking for the amount you need to save it from being repoed.

    Youll need a lawyer to help you make sure contracts are legal and will protect you.

    Sounds like a lifestyle change might help, sometimes we start living out of our means and don't know it when its gone to far.

     I don't see why you wouldn't be able to find a decent lawyer for milliatry personal, not sure about the cost.

    You can always use Pre-paid Legals Services Inc, plans. You can view those plans by clicking here.


    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:54 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • You most likely qualify for WIC. There is program for military families who are overseas that is very similar to WIC, I forgot what the name of it is.

    There is also help for military families who are being forced to sell their home for less than they owe on it....

    Is your home near a military installation? If it is, you will probably be able to rent it out for what your mortgage is on it. Get the information to the housing office o try advertising on AHRN.

    Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:03 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.