can u pay for cable/internet /cell phones with welfare money?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• How can they tell wat u spend it on? I want to get welfare.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Of course you can. You can pay for anything with welfare money. Once it's money in your hand you are responsible for what you do with it.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• TANF and welfare can be spent on anything you want. DH runs a convince store and he sees a lot of people use their cash assistance on beer and smokes. It really pisses him off because it gives people who really need PA a really bad rep.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Does Welfare money look different from regular money?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Shouldn't they tell you what you can spend it on? Can you really spend it on beer and smokes? Holy crap! I do not condone this one bit! I think food stamps are better because you have to spend it on food, but money that can be spent anywhere...I can only imagine what some are wasting it on.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Is it a debit card? Or do they send you a check that you cash?? I'm confused (and a little bit pissed!)
    prettyrayray

• That's a good idea, for people who have to be on tanif or welfare, I think that they shouldn't be able to get "cash" and it be regulated like FS what it gets spent on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• In my state it's like a debt card. You can use it for anything and you can get cash back if you want to.

I used to work for a grocery store and people bought beer, cigs, chewing tabacco, and a bunch of other stuff.

If they chose to use it for that than they could. I think it's BS but they can.

They one exception for me would be the internet BUT ONLY if they are in school and need it for school. And even then they should only be using PA money if they don't have access to a library or the internet at school (i.e. online classes to a school that isn't near you).

In that case I would rather someone pay for internet and better themselves than live off of tax payer money for 10+ years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• In WA, it actually goes on your FS card, its just a different account. You can get the cash at a debit machine or pay with the card like a debit card. Some stores make you use a different machine from the debit machine, but those are usually older stores that have not upgraded for a long time.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:45 AM on Sep. 26, 2009