How long before you think the government will have to start cutting welfare payments?

Or having to turn away the new cases that apply? Does the gov't have an unlimited supply of $ or what!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• IMHO, payments should begin to decrease on a timetable to discourage long-term abuse as is the case with many situations. Six months at one rate, with a 25% deduction over the next four months until the individual is independent and free of the handout. We have generational welfare recipients because they never had to work, never had an example to follow and think this is the way things are. Of course there are situations where long-term PA is a necessity (disability for instance) but those programs need to be kept far from and separately categorized.

PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 6:15 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Hopefully soon. Get those lazy butts off the couch
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• At least cut them off sooner. Like maybe 6 months?

There's nothing like a fire under your ass to get you to look for a job!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• If they would actually help those who WANT to help themselves, but find that their family is in a better position if they don't work. I'm not making excuses but I remember both me and dh working min wage at the ONLY jobs we could find. He tried to find a second job and so did I but couldn't find any and were lucky to get what we did. When I went to work, they cut all assistance including the baby's medicaid. It all got replaced with less than 50 bucks a month. I couldn't afford to take my baby to the dr if she got sick! I couldn't afford to keep enough food on the table. We didn't eat out, we didn't have cable, we didn't have the extras. Some one else paid for a cell phone. And before some one goes off saying you shouldn't have had a kid you can't afford. Sorry but I didn't plan on having a baby then. I was on bc and using it properly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• less than a year,i wouldnt depend on anything like that,what people need to do is start saving.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:00 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• They turned me away and I basically make nothing so I guess its started...LOL. I had to sell everything I own. My kids and I had to move in with my mom just to be able to eat. I can no longer work but get basically nothing. I lost my house, my car, my furniture...everything. I was able to keep our clothes and the food we had in the pantry. Other than that, I lost it all. And I can't even qualify for PA. I make $20 bucks over than qualification..I was injured in my line of work. I now pay that money to my mom(who is retired and lives on 800/month) for me and my kids living with her. She helps with the kids(2.5 yr old and 1 yr old) and helps me too. But I just remember it could have been alot worse for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• i agree... hopefully soon... there are plenty out there who CAN work and need to try harder!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:04 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• The welfare system is at huge risk of collapse.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:24 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

Especially since it is entirely dependent on taxpayers continuing to fund it! With high unemployment numbers, work hours being cut, and big businesses moving their headquarters and primary manufacturing/distributing operations to countries that impose significantly less business taxes, it's not going to be pretty when it all does come crashing down!

Since the government doesn't produce anything, and is entirely dependent on taxes, when something like 5% of people support upwards of 70% of the country, and those 5% stop producing/paying taxes as they have done in the past, we're in big trouble! Communism is a very real possibility...think Russia!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:18 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

And all those places with 15% or 18% unemployment are really myths. If they wanted jobs they would fall out of the sky as soon as they asked.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Sep. 26, 2009