Do infants get allergies--like hayfever?

I think my 5-month-old might have hayfever, or something like it. Is that common? Could it be something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, they can especially if there is a family history of seasonal allergies.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Yes, they can. And they may not even show "typical" symptoms. My son wasn't diagnosed until age 3 and I didn't even know what was wrong with him. He wasn't sneezing, no watery eyes, no runny nose. Behaviorally, he was getting oppositional and aggressive. I took him to the pediatrician and she took one look at him and said, "He has allergies." I asked how she knew and she told me that he had dark circles under his eyes and that's a sure sign in kids. He's been on Zantac and Nasonex since and I can tell if he hasn't had his meds for a few days because he gets really irritable.
    amy5272

Answer by amy5272 at 12:04 AM on Sep. 26, 2009