What will happen to me? I'm 26 and have to have a hysterectomy! SCARED!!

I have a condition that only happens with tubaligations, anyways i have to have a hysterectomy leaving my ovaries! But don't know what to do about it or how to deal with things after! I have my three beautiful children so thats not an issue!

blueyes09

Asked by blueyes09 at 12:05 AM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Health

• I had mine when I was 24. They took my uterus and my cerivix. I also have three kids too. I went to the local health store and got on some natural vitamins. They have really helped. Good luck! Let me know if you have any more question. :) And do make sure that you take the 6 weeks to recover. I ended up back at work after 2 weeks and regretted it.
    dolphinkisses

Answer by dolphinkisses at 3:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My mom had a hysterectomy. I wish you luck because your brain will essentially be going through menopause. ...oh those days really sucked for us as kids. mom was always angry. lol. hopefully you'll handle it differently.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:07 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• a friend of mine had to have one and she gets hot flashes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Actually, I believe you only go through menopause if they remove your ovaries too, so relax. It shouldn't be too bad. The reason they leave the ovaries is so that you don't go through menopause too early.

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this so young, but ask your doctor or nurse some questions. I don't think the side affects are too bad when they leave the ovaries. As for the recovery, I know they have a couple of ways to do it now that aren't quite as major as they used to be. Just be sure not to over do it too soon after. I didn't have a hysterectomy, but when I had my c-sections, I planned ahead by cooking and freezing lots of meals so that I didn't have to cook until I felt up to it.

Wishing you a safe surgery and speedy recovery.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:35 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I had a hysterectomy 8 years ago (still have my ovaries).  Sometimes within two years of surgery when the ovaries are left intact they will start to shut down leading to premature menopause.  This did not happen to me.  I started menopause about 2 years ago.

Honestly my surgery was one the best things that ever happened to me.  First of all, not having a period anymore is wonderful.  Secondly, my health and general well being improved immensely. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:09 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Menopause is a crap shoot.  Some women have a terrible time while others don't.  I have problems with temperature control.  I'm either too hot or too cold.  I have to keep a towel by the bed because I wake up soaking wet.  I don't have any problems with my moods though.

I'm a firm believer in a positive mental attitude.  If you think this is going to be terrible then I believe it will be but if you concentrate on the positive aspects then you will be just fine.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:19 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Follow your doctors recovery instructions to the letter.  That is VERY IMPORTANT! 

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:21 AM on Sep. 26, 2009