Is 3 years enough?

I've been in a relationship for 3 years, but no proposal. We even talked about it, but he told me that it takes time for him to prepare for marriage because he has to take care of some family issues. I am worried because I don't want keep putting this off. I don't want to be married tomorrow, but engaged for a year or so. That's all I ask. That should give him enough time to handle his family issues. Even though he is open to talk about this, do you think I should just leave and find someone else who will take the next step?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• Each year you put into the relationship with him cheats you out of investing your time with someone else. Let's face it, we don't get younger each year which means the odds of finding Mr Right go down each yr that you give the first guy that is not taking the relationship to the next level. Personally if I wanted marriage I wouldn't have invested more than one year before telling him we get engaged or I'm moving on. I'm trying to remember where I read about stuff like this. I think it was in a book called How to Marry the Man of Your Choice. It was a long time ago but I think that's the right book.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I would give it time. If you love the man then just stick it out...Life is too short to give up on something thats worth a shot.
    Jessaroo1987

Answer by Jessaroo1987 at 12:33 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I think that if you are truly happy and you love him then you should give it a bit more time. You don't want him to feel pressured because then he will propose for the wrong reasons. And if you leave you will have to start the cycle over with someone else anyway. I think that if you love each other and you are happy and feel like you are a great fit that you should be patient and give it a bit more time. I know it's hard, most women want to be engaged and get married to the man they love, it's only natural....however, finding a man that will treat you right, be faithful and make you feel like the most special woman on earth is a difficult thing to do these days. Look at the pros of the relationship as compared to the cons. GL
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 12:34 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I don't know. I think 3 years is a long time to wait. I don't know how old you are, but you can invest a lot of time, and he may still have excuses. Some guys do take awhile, and maybe he will come through, you need to decide how much time you're willing to invest in the relationship whether he comes through or not. Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:10 AM on Sep. 26, 2009