Is it possible to have post partum depression while your still pregnant/through pregnancy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is, and it exists.
    Famously known as Pregnancy Blues.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 12:45 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• yeah its called prepartum depression, our something like that. i had it.
    jaelynsmama07

Answer by jaelynsmama07 at 12:46 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Forgot to mention that I didn't have it with my first, but have it with my second.
    It sucks, I first thought it was probably due to my raging hormones, but after a thorough discussion with my OB, turns out it was depression. I'm currently seeing a therapist - because I don't really want to try drugs yet, and it's honestly helping a lot. Just someone completely unbiased and a stranger to unload on helps. :]
    *hugs* It'll be okay, momma. If you need someone to talk to, give me a holler.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 12:49 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I have had depression with this pregnancy since about 8 weeks but honeslty I think its because bad stuff has been happening. It will get better. *HUGS* If you need someone to talk to just let me know. I too am seeing a therapist and it is kinda getting better!
    mymymama

Answer by mymymama at 12:53 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Yes! it can happen and its actually fairly common (you would think someone would warn us, but no). I ended up on anti-depressants but that was right before they finally realized that they were kinda bad for the baby. (I even remember asking my doctor, is this ok? because it didnt make sense that everything else would go through, but an anti-depressant wouldn't) Talk to your doctor, talk to a counselor, talk to anyone and everyone you think might help!
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:02 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I still do not know for certain if I had pre and/or post partum depression. I think I may have, but it is hard to know since it may have just been depression caused by her father being overseas. It does happen though....good old baby blues. Even if you are not sure though, talk to your doctor right away.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 1:26 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• It's technically not post-partum depression because you are still pregnant, however depression in pregnancy does exist. Check this information out:
    http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/depressionduringpregnancy.html
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:03 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• yes, very much so! and one of my friends swears by the homeopathic remedy called rescue remedy. Its safe to take during and after pregnancy!
    Or you can go to your dr and get some depression meds...but i recommend the natural thing first!
    perfectxsinx

Answer by perfectxsinx at 2:39 AM on Sep. 26, 2009