Should i press charges on my daugters boyfriend?

Ok i have a 17 year old daughter, she will be 18 in 4 months and 8 days. well her boyfriend is 24 years old. and i am the one that got them started talking in the first place. i could kick my self for doing it, but any ways I have told them to stop seeing, and talking to each other. I know they do it behinfd my back. What should I do. Do I press charges on him or just leave it alone?

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I think you probably should leave it alone.. I know when i was a 17 year old girl.. I would do thing just because i wasn't suppose too.

Answer by emturner at 10:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Im sorry call me a jerk but I think that is abuse of the law. In other countries women are married at a younger age. If you press charges he will have to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. I agree he needs to go away but abusing the law like that is not what it was put in place for. Times have changed and I hope you will find another way to deal with the situation.

Answer by Adsherf at 10:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• you shouldn't have asked them not to see each other, you're just drawing them closer together. maybe if you just try to accept their relationship and try to have them over at yr place more where they are nearby (aka chaperoned...) less can go on. She's almost 18. Do you know for sure that they are having a sexual relationship? I don't think it would be right to press charges unless you truly feel she is in danger....

Answer by 2coolmama at 10:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• it is also your daughters fault to not trying to talk bad on her but I have been in her shoes not with a 24 year old though. I'd be pissed at that but she'll learn from her mistakes. Good luck!!

Answer by KBM99 at 10:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• shes close enough to 18 that if you stop it now theyare just going to pick it up when she does turnand i agree about abuseing the law i had a friend whose mother called the police on her 19 year old bf when she was almost 18 and he is now a registered sex offender. they are married and have kids and their lives are very difficult b/c of it

Answer by masonelismom at 11:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• So, let's say she starts seeing someone who is closer to her age - say 6 months younger. Are you going to call the police on her when she is 18, if you know they are having physical relations? I remember being in her shoes and having an older boyfriend and always thinking "I am going out with this nice, respectable guy from a great family who is a few years older. My parents are against it, but if they forbid it, I'll happily find a real loser and drug user that is my age just to get back."

Answer by Trinjo at 12:33 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• do realize that you will ruin his life, right?

Answer by unga at 12:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• In many places this actually wouldn't be a case for courts to begin with. For instance, in many states if the child is 17, they can be with someone (sexually) up to six years their elder. Which would still make your case valid, however the laws there may actually permit him being with your daughter within their laws. Also, if she is this close to being 18 then I think all you are going to do is push her away from you and really strain your relationship. And do you really want to do that when she is soon going to be old enough to go out on her own?

Also in my opinion this isn't a situation that falls into the "I brought you into this world and I can take you out" category, meaning...just because you put them together doesn't mean that you have any right to try and break them up. She is old enough to make decisions for herself at this point.

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I feel that that aspect of the law should be reserved for perps that are abusing young children. NOT a consensual realationship you do not approve of...

Answer by handsomebabyj at 12:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• i think if you tell her not to do it, she will probably go after the forbidden fruit even stronger. Romeo and Juliet kinda.

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2008