I want to know more about Car seat safety, Ext. rear facing, etc please?

My son is 2 1/2 and 30 lbs. I just started to really see things about extended rear facing and other car seat safety issues and I would love to get any kind of info any of you more knowledgeable moms may have. It's sad that you don't see this kind of education on public television. Anyway, my son is in a typical toddler seat (just one from Target) that does have the 5 pt harness. He is forward faced because I really had no clue about extending rear facing until recently. He is 30 lbs and over 3ft tall. Does he need to be rear facing still? When and how do I know my carseat is "expired"? Is there anything else I should know? Any carseat advocates please post answers and send me links/articles if need be. Thanks a ton!!! :))

workathome01

Asked by workathome01 at 1:54 AM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• From what i understand your son is too heavy to extend rear face. ...but go to the groups and search car seat safety or extended rear facing. there are lots of groups about it. I'm sure they can help you.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:57 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Oh, and if you read the side of the car seat there should be a weight limit there. The one i have for my son says 35-100 pounds. ...yea. he turns 4 this December but he'll be staying in his car seat until he gets a little taller (because right now he's still comfortable. once he gets taller the straps will be tight on his shoulders).
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:59 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• No he wouldn't be too heavy. Typically a child can ERF until 35-40 lbs, depending on your seat. Any height/weight/expiration dates should be right on the car seat. I am not sure if he is too tall--as long as their is at least 1 inch of shell space from his head to the seat, he could still rear face. You would also need to check to see if you have a convertable seat--you may have a forward facing only seat.

I highly recommend googling "car seat technicians." They can give you a list of local car seat technicians in your area (did you know 4 out of 5 carseats installed by family/parents are installed incorrectly?) and they will install your seat for FREE! I love this program and always have DDs seats installed by the technicians in my area. It is usually a half hour appt and they can give you all sorts of information. HTH!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:36 AM on Sep. 26, 2009