Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what should guys use when they get a yeast infection?

Will the monistat stuff work? or is that just for chicks? lol

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 AM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (6)
  • That's what my brother wants to know!

    Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 4:33 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • I believe the yeast infection medication for females is for internal yeast infections. Men have the infection on the exterior, I'm assuming? If so, he can purchase some jock itch powder spray that has an anti-fungal in it to spray the area. But he may need to see his doctor if it gets worse because he may need a stronger anti-fungal prescription.
    Now that I think about it, perhaps the female medication can be used to spread around the male's genital area to heal the infection.
    If there is some exudate coming from his penis then he definitely needs to see his physician.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:47 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • When my son had a yeast infection, we used the monistat cream on him, just as his pediatrician recommended. We also cut down on bubble baths, which were causing them in his case.

    Answer by Lesli at 10:09 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • Yup the Monistat cream works on males as well. In fact my gynocologist gave me some to have my husband use at the same time I was treated so we wouldn't be reinfecting each other.
    But there is also an oral prescription medication called Diflucan or Trican (fluconazole) that can be used as well in both females and males. Larger prolonged doses of Diflucan is also given to guys with stubborn athletes foot.
    If reoccuring yeast infections are common ask your doctor to give you a standing prescription for Diflucan so you can fill it whenever you need it.

    Answer by shaecastle at 11:18 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • Monistat, Lotrimin (sp?), or any other over the counter anti-fungal will work just fine if the yeast infection is external. If it's gone internally, he will need a prescription for Diflucan.

    Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:03 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

  • DRAINO and water

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.