Any experienced dog lovers out there right now? My dog is very sick

We just got back from the ER with her (it's 3:23). Negative for Parvo, Blood Sugar is fine (152), white cell count is in low-normal range. Here's what's going on.
Wed night she threw up all night (she had eaten fine all day, felt fine, started throwing up late Wed). Thursday morning she seemed to feel a lot better. Played, laid around some, and ate her dinner Thursday night. She threw up once overnight Thurs. Friday, she didn't feel 100%, but she still played some. About 4:30PM she started getting sick again. Throwing up, wouldn't eat, drinking lots of water - throwing it up within an hour. I figured, okay gotta take her to her vet on Sat when they open (maybe a virus). About midnight she went for more water, came back in, stood there for a couple of sec then fell over. When I got to her she was conscious, but shivering. Wrapped her up and called ER vet. Cont'd below......

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 4:28 AM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Pets

• Thanks Ladies - first to answer why she hasn't had the parvo shot yet - I adopted her from the pound. She had a horrible case of worms - can't get the shots while sick. We got her over the worms (took a month), then she developed Kennel Cough (we just got her over that) she was due for her shots next week. Now, the rest, I just got back from my vet (they took her straight in this morning). The did 2 x-ray films - no blockage, vet went over her hemotology from last night - and did another fecal swap (bless her heart she had no poop in her) - but my vet has much better facilities and what they found was bacterial "swimmers" in her stool. He said it's the equivalent of you or me getting Montazuma's Revenge from visiting a 3rd World Country and NOT boiling our water. The closet we can know at this time is that she DOES drink from the puddles in the flowerbeds AND she chews on the bark from them as well..... Cont'd below.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• The vet tech said her gums were a little light but not too bad. They tested for parvo - negative. But her white cell count is down. Blood sugar is fine. They gave her IV under the skin (she looks like a camel right now), and pepcid for the nausea. She hasn't pooped all day. Drinks lots of water. Is very lathargic, eyes are bloodshot, she has some fever, not a lot. If this isn't Parvo - what in the world can it be. She perked up a bit with the IV fluid under the skin and the pepcid shot. Gotta take her to our vet in the morning. Any possible ideas?? Any guess?? I'm at a loss - and out $400 right now - more tomorrow (gosh vets can be expensive at night - $200 just to walk in)
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:32 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• did they check her kidney function?
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:15 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I just had two die last week and they were acting just like you described, but the vet never could give me an explanation of what was wrong with them. So if you get some answers, PLEASE let me know what they say!
    tlclinard

Answer by tlclinard at 5:19 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• How old is she? Did they do x-rays? When she vomits how long after she has eaten is it happening? I am wondering if she ate something and it is stuck. Another possibility is pancreatitis.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:36 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• OK, I have no idea what might be wrong, BUT Im going to tell you what I did for my St Bernard when she was little. She was exposed to Parvo in between her first and second shot.....she was vomiting foam, pooping blood and slime, it was AWFUL!! I took her to the vet, he did a bunch, put her on some meds and told me to hold her food and water for a day or 2 til she stopped all that, but she started loosing wt fast in her hind quarters and I was loosing my mind. I called my breeder, and he told me to brown some hamburger meat, drain all the grease on a papertowel and cook some plain white rice. Mix it together and feed in small amounts at a time. I have NO CLUE why this worked, but it gave my TinkerBelle enough energy and nutrition to pull through it all and she did just fine. I fed her like this for about 3 days, then slowly added it to her food for about 2 more days til we were back on regular food and doing fine. GL!
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 10:57 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• So sorry about your dog. Wouldn't you have done the parvo shot?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:08 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• He said between her test and her blood work that he saw no TRUE indicators of Parvo - especially taken with the fact that she got sick on Wed. Nite - felt better Thurs - then went back down hill on Friday. Pups with Parvo do not do that - they get sick and keep going downhill - so all things taken together he said he's 99% confident it is not Parvo. AND with the positive test for swimmers - and with no blockage - we're most likely looking at a bacterial infection. He told me to feed her whatever I can get her to eat - literally. He believes that if we get her to eat something (anything) that her stomach will begin to strengthen AND with the IV , meds last night, and the antibiotics he put her on (one week supply) that we should be looking at a 95% or better likelihood of her being better by Monday. We will watch her close because the tech from last night & the one this morning said they've seen a few cases like this recently.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:11 PM on Sep. 26, 2009