Cat litter?

ok i have to change my cat litter have no one eles to do it... I cover my nose and mouth and do it .... WIll this cause anything im 24 weeks prego.. I have to do it.. what eles can i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 AM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You do not have to wear a mask. Toxoplasmosis is a parasite that is ingested so you want to wear gloves and wash your hands after changing the litter. You can also get it from flies and cockroaches if you have cats (gross).

If you get the parasite you may have no symptoms or may think it is the flu. If your unborn baby becomes infected it can damage the eyes or brain.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:04 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I got a painters mask and the rubber gloves, did it as quickly as I could too!! But I only changed it twice my entire pregnancy (the months I was living with my dad). Baby turned out fine and normal but def do it in a well ventalated area, gloves, mask and wash your hands!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Were you doing this prior to pregnancy?
    You can continue if you were. But be sure to avoid digging/gardening in outdoor spaces where neighbor cats might poop. And wash your hands after very well!

You might want to buy natural littler, like pine. Avoid the brands with perfumes.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:54 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I read from a vet tech that toxoplasmosis needs 2-3 days to incubate/ become contagious. So if you change it daily, the risk of infection is decreased. Wear gloves, use a clean scoop each time, and wash your hands very well afterward. if you have had the cat and changed the box since before your conceived you probably have developed an immunity to it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I have also heard that changing your box DAILY will significantly cut your risk. I however, do not agree that if you have always changed your cats box that you are probably immune. There is a chance that if you have already had the parasite that you are immune, BUT there is nothing saying that just because you have changed your cats box for 5 years that you have even come in contact with the parasite that causes toxoplasmosis. Cats get it from eating other animals that have the parasite, if you cat just happens to have never come in contact, neither have you.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 10:03 AM on Sep. 28, 2009