my son is very sick. i need some additional help. any advice?

He's caughing on flem andcant stay asleep or lay on his back because he can't breathe through his nose :( I've tried going in the bathroom and turning the shower on hot and sucking his nose. baby tylonal. but he's 9 months so I dont know what else I can do.... help?!

AmandaSlate20

Asked by AmandaSlate20 at 6:14 AM on Sep. 26, 2009 in Health

• What is his fever? So far, the best solution I've found is sleeping with them all night long. Just so you know how he is doing. Maybe sleep sitting up on the couch or something (we don't have a rocker or I would have used that many times). My dd is 22 mos old and sleeping with her, checking her temp and holding her are the only things that have ever worked for her cold. If his fever gets high, take him to the ER!!!

I hope he feels better soon!!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:04 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I realize you probably can't get out right now, but if you can get some saline nose drops (like Little Noses) to help break up the mucous in his nose, that might help. Is he drinking okay? Keep trying to get liquids into him, even jello. And as lilmama said, trying to sit up and sleep might help too.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:32 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• let him sleep in an bouncer so he is sitting up some and it will help this is what i had to do with my daughter when she was lil and sick. u can give him some chicken broth too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Use a cool mist humidifier in his room, saline drops and a ball syringe to suction the mucus.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 8:32 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Saline drops, ball syringe, cool mist humidifier, baby vicks on the feet (cover with socks) ...
    harteri

Answer by harteri at 8:58 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Elevation is a good thing - it helps with drainage.
    If he sleeps with you, elevate the head of your bed by putting pillows BETWEEN the mattress and box spring. One for a twin bed, two for full/queen, etc.
    In a crib, use a folded bath towel UNDER the mattress at one end.
    Make sure his head/chest are up on the elevated area.
    Humidifiers can also help, as can the saline drops. Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do but wait it out. Do keep an eye out for fevers, wheezing, and difficulty breathing. Fever over 103 needs to bee seen by a doctor, 104 needs an ER. Any difficulty breathing that can't be seen immediately by your doctor (like within an hour) should go to the ER.
    It's frustrating when really little ones get sick like this, and loss of sleep is hard. But it does pass! Good luck, Mama!!!
    BearsMommy

Answer by BearsMommy at 9:04 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• If you have a small room a vicks plug in vaporizer really helps. I would also suggest not laying him flat but have him elevated.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 9:33 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Sweetheart...take him to emergency with HINI there's no time to play around, babies are most vulnerable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• You need to take him to the dr
    It most likely is not the flu like some will try to scare you in to but here alot of babies and adults are getting sick with the exact same thing you discribed I have bronchitousSP? and my daughter has a chest cold ear infection and horrible stuffy nose she is on an antibiotic and decongestant.
    You do need to get to a dr so that it doesnt turn in to bronchitous for your baby .
    At my daughters dr a few babies had it progress that far .

Also let him sleep in a bouncer or swing so he can breathe better my daughter has been inher swing
    There is something going around everyone is getting sick and no it is not the flu
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Was also gonna add that this is in Las Vegas.
    Didnt mean to post anon .
    You do need to get to the dr tho just to be safe,
    My dr said that me having a fever was a sign of the bronchitous sp?
    So get him checked soon
    I hope he feels better!
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:36 AM on Sep. 26, 2009